Thread: Silly Season Hoaxes again

Silly Season Hoaxes again

Well every one, the silly season (all year long?) has hit again. In the last 3-4 days I have received 2 different virus alerts from people on my mailing lists that were hoaxes. At least none of them are the malicious kind that tell you to delete this or that file.....yet.

The latest one I have got is this ( OMG it will erase all my dll's)
    During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching any
    e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in any way, regardless
    of who sent it. PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THOSE WHO
    DON'T KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER. REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE
    PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY, THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11!
    >
    > BIG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor." It is a virus that will
    erase your whole "C" drive.. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from
    a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me
    before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his
    computer!
    >
    > Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive
    this 25 times than not at all. So, if you receive an email called "WTC
    Survivor", do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic
    link libraries (dll files) from your computer.
    >
    >
    >PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE!
    >
    Now remember the people who are sending these to me are really trying to be helpfull. They don't realize they are farthering a hoax. And most of them also don't even know how to check them out so see if it is a real threat or not.

BTW, to check this one out go here: http://www.stiller.com/wtcsurv.htm
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

And whatif same format is used to spread virus, as this person said " I would rather receive
    this 25 times than not at all. So, if you receive an email called "WTC.. " , now when 2nd mail is virus itself rather than warning. Well same goodwill is now a good potential virus threat.
    This reminds me to check update of my antivirus :-)
    It\'s all about sense of power.