Thread: wireless question

wireless question

i need a recomendation for a good wireless usb adaptor.

i need to pot wireless access points in 34 locations. tht director bought the stuff and then asked me. we have linksysy wireless-G (WRT54G) broadband routers, which i have no probelm but the adapters are real mickey mouse. he bought 5 to try out they are wusb854g. they loose the signal from 10 feet away. just close a flimsey hollow-core door and the connections gone.

the director seems to favor a usb solution so if anyone knows of one.....TIA
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Ted,
    I have used a Netgear MA111, 802.11b, wireless USB adapter. It works fairly well, but does not have the range or the gain my Belkin PCI card does. I don't know if they make one for 802.11g but this one says it is compliant and compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g devices (so they must).
    It was approx. $50 USD from 'Staples' about 6 months ago or so.
    It comes with a setup disk (drivers and utility).

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=173&view=
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

We've been using some of Linksys adapters at work and they seem to be working great for us.

They're a 802.11g standard but can work with 802.11b wireless networks.
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=543916

That to of course comes with all the stuff you'll need.

Now if your wanting something a little smaller you can get the smaller USB adapters that look like pen drives, but I can't really tell you how well their range is.
    =

cheyenne1212 the one your using at work is the one im talking about. it's supposed to have a range of (under) 300 feet indoors. have them installed at three locations and in three locations...they work on occasion. maybe im doing something wrong although i cant see how they'd be working when i left, stay up for three days and just stop. im taking a ride up to new city ny tomorrow. thats the closest one to me. ive got so much to do i hate to be wasting time dicking around with this. i would like to just get a solution that works.

its like trying to pick-up a short wave broadcast on a portable receiver. move the antena around and point it in differant directions...ahh there it is. and im only talkin about distances of 15 to 40 feet. theres gotta be a better way
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

That Linksys should do alot better than the little pen drive style I have. But the Netgear would reach approx 50' and through a floor and two walls. It wasn't 100% signal, but still came up as good according to the XP signal graph. (oh and it does have a short USB cable so you can move the antenna around forthe best signal).

Maybe you need to look at the WAP instead of the receiving points.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Remember to tedob that if you have any type of Fluorescent lights, they will interfere with your wireless signal.

You might want to look into Wireless range extenders?
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/resul...rm=all&x=0&y=0

But perhaps if that isnt' working for you, then you should look into what moxnix said about using a WAP.
    =

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Tedob1,

I have a linksys wrt54g at home, and indeed i find it a real charm. There's even a patch to open up its linux, but this aside.
    I assume the wireless connections will be for laptops prior ? I have a Linksys WPC54G pcmcia card and that has good range and stability. And while you're at it, never buy the Linksys pci wireless cards (WMP54G). They are a bunch of ****, and don't seem to like asus mobo's.
    Unfortunately i have no experience in usb g sticks. Good that i know not to buy the linksys ones though.

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby