Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of owning more than one box?

Question What is the point of owning more than one box?

Now, just a bit of a random question here, but what is the point of owning more than one box. Don't say "to have more than one OS", because you can just have the same box with dualbooting. So what are your views on the reasons for having more than one box?

J_K9

For me:

1) Specialized tasks
    2) Networking
    3) Task division

You say "specialized tasks". Care to explain more AK?

J_K9

My network's slowly but surely shaping up like this:

1) My main XP Home box for all of my serious work, high security, used for e-mail and web browsing.
    2) Win98lite box for older games
    3) Win95 box mostly for documents and using as an overal guinea pig
    4) Redhat box that once running right will help me learn Linux

All on seperate boxes so I can also learn how to network the different machines together and whatnot.

That's quite good AngelicKnight. I admitedly own a laptop and a box, lappy for work and box for games. Both run Win XP. Thanks for replying, but I wonder what other people use their extra boxes for.

J_K9

Actually, my personal network is really simple:
    - One Linux box for serious stuff and web browsing.
    - Two Win XP boxes for newbies (ie family) and gaming.
    - A very old box turned in experimental *nix box (NetBSD currently), for learning.
    - An old Thinkpad customized with Linux for when I must move.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I believe everyone should have at least two boxes one for everyday use and the other for testing purposes or as a back up incase the first one goes down.
    My set up is as follows
    [list=1][*]windows xp home I use this box for surfing the web, watching DVD's or playing a game[*]windows 2000 pro used as a backup machine and stores all my backup files [*]Test box for trying out new operating systems etc [*]windows xp pro Just for the hell of it [*]Currently running FreeBsd 4.10[/list=1]

I have an XP gaming box for day to day and internet use, and a K6 slack box that I am learning *nix on. I also have about 10 gateway P1's that I haven't decided what I am going to do with yet...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Now, just a bit of a random question here, but what is the point of owning more than one box. Don't say "to have more than one OS", because you can just have the same box with dualbooting. So what are your views on the reasons for having more than one box?
    What is the point of having more than one motorcycle, or automobile?

Some people collect and restore?

Also, there is a limit to dual booting.

But the main reason that most of us have multiple machines, is that you have test/reference machines, labrats and sheep dips. These are the boxes that you investigate malware, try out new software, and do development stuff on. Those activities are generally not a good idea on your main box? and on a local network.

My (third) wife once threatened to divorce me if I brought another computer home............so I bought all the components, took them back, and sat in the middle of the living room floor and built a new one in front of her.

The next day she brought me three "fired/redundant" ones from work

I doubt if I have more than 30 in the house at the moment.............and the bits to build another five

Also...................if you go into a room, it must have at least three computers and a printer in it?.......OK the bathroom and the two toilets don't (yet )

I guess it might be an enthusiasm thing?

Cheers

My personal network is quite simple too:

1. Win98 - Main System (Browsing, etc)
    2. WinMe - Guest System (Guests To Use, Gaming System, MP3's, and Testing.)
    3. OpenBSD - Server System (Used as a server to host friends websites, etc and learning on.)

I'm also saving up for a laptop which I'm going to get Win2000 or WinXP for documents and for MP3.
    Space For Rent.. =]