Thread: SP2 and Emachines not a good mix

Dead Man Walking

SP2 and Emachines not a good mix

Recently TheHorse13 made a post about SP2 and dell laptops having problems. It just did the same thing to my wifes emachine. I dont have the model number handy but its got a 1.8ghz AMD. Exact same symptoms as described by TH13. Install SP2 and reboot about 3/4 of the way through reboot blue sceen of death.

The Iceman Cometh
    Can you get into Safe Mode at all? Since it's an AMD, it may be the NX technology I mentioned in the other thread. If you can get into Safe Mode, you should be able to disable the setting (I don't remember where the setting is, but I remember seeing it somewhere in one of the Control Panel applets). That'd be my suggestion. Otherwise, try re-installing Windows? Either way, I guess it just goes to show that backing up before you install major updates is a really good idea.

AJ

I believe the NX bit is only on 64 bit.

Slarty posted a large bit on the NX bit a while back, and I recall correctly it only affected 64 bit.

Ok I'm done posting bit a whole bunch of times. bit.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

The Iceman Cometh
    If it's a 32-bit AMD processor, check to see if DEP (Data Execution Protection) is turned on. I think newer AMD chips can utilize DEP, but I've heard of some problems with it. If you can get into Safe Mode, go to Control Panel | System | Advanced | Performance Settings | Data Execution Protection. That's the only other problem I can think of besides a driver problem.

AJ

Re: SP2 and Emachines not a good mix

Originally posted here by ZomBieMann77
    Recently TheHorse13 made a post about SP2 and dell laptops having problems. It just did the same thing to my wifes emachine. I dont have the model number handy but its got a 1.8ghz AMD. Exact same symptoms as described by TH13. Install SP2 and reboot about 3/4 of the way through reboot blue sceen of death.

Make sure to check that all the drivers are installed correctly and all the hardware is working fine. You can do this in the device manager. Also, you may need to uninstall xpsp2 and re-install it. This can be done from add/remove applet.

--{Jelly}

Dead Man Walking
    No you can not acsess safe mode or anything like that.

personally, i've installed sp2 on 3 emachines without issues, two of which were the AMD 1.8GHz models. i didn't even bother to update the bios on one of them until after the install, just to see if a bios update was needed and i found that it wasn't.

did the sytem appear to have any issues/oddities before you updated it?
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....