Xp Sp2

Thread: Xp Sp2

Xp Sp2

This thread is not about bashing Microsoft, they have valid excellent products that well for the most part now run America. But given the conflicts in the XP service pack 2 there needs to be some equally valid questions raised. Fact is Microsoft was found guilty of antitrust laws and a remedy entered into with the US government. But now American business is supposed alter their business operations for Microsoft provided a tool that gives us what 2 months to accommodate their service pack? It has not been since the early days of the automobile and “Standard Oil” and a Rockefeller in full control has such an event happened.

Has Microsoft found a way around antitrust laws and are bundling a firewall a full 6 years behind major firewall vendors, or anti virus firms. The answer I see is yes to patch their OS one now has to accept the fact that in spite of their patch causing major conflicts with some of their own products like SQL, and oh well take a peek at their top 50 and then to the hardware driver list. Are we all to sit back and say ok Bill?

If I am patching my OS then I want to patch it I do not want an addition to the OS and new built in functions. A patch is a patch new software set to defaults I cannot change well that belongs to spyware. So I view this SP as a new war M$ took out Netscape will you trust them to replace Symantec, your Firewall vendor, your means to produce your pay check SQL?

How retro is the service pack if my systems are W2K will my next patch include Auto Update like the last or maybe M$ unwanted late to market firewall by default. M$ must fully disclose what they are installing beyond an OS patch. I’m pissed about it and they have to date not given a choice I need to patch systems and I get stuff I do not want!
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

How retro is the service pack if my systems are W2K will my next patch include Auto Update like the last or maybe M$ unwanted late to market firewall by default. M$ must fully disclose what they are installing beyond an OS patch. I’m pissed about it and they have to date not given a choice I need to patch systems and I get stuff I do not want!
    1. Microsoft does tell you what is behind every patch. If you have been to the Windows Update website before then you have seen on every avaliable download they have a description of what the patch fixes and usually a link to more information about the thing it fixes. (As shown below)

2. Also in Windows XpSp2 you do get things like a new improved firewall. But that also came with Windows Xp by default. Every thing you get from Microsoft can easily be disabled. I don't know why your so bloody mad!

-- {Jellybelly}