Thread: How?

Question How?

Can somebody help me to find out how to get rid of viruses. are there any recomendation of websites? I would also like to find out how to trace where they came from, so I can find out who put it on my machine.

There are plenty of Anti-Virus software application's out there available for download. For a nice free web virus scan, try trend micro's housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/). As for where they came from and who put them on your machine, that put is pretty hard to determine. Chances are it was a random person who just wanted to cause harm on someone's machine.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Warblazer,

If it is a virus, worm or trojan the chances are that nobody actually put it on your machine other than yourself, through having weak security.

You should have up to date:

1. Antivirus
    2. Firewall

And use scanners for Adware and Spyware.

Your operating system should be up to date with the latest patches.

Can you tell us:

1. What is your operating system.
    2. What is your antivirus.
    3. What is your firewall.
    4. Do you have an Adware scanner.
    5. Do you have a Spyware scanner.
    6. What e-mail system are you using.
    7. How do you connect to the internet (dial-up modem/DSL/Cable)?

As Spyder has suggested,, a lot of this stuff is launched onto the internet like a "fire and forget" missile and you are not the particular target.

Cheers

a lot of this stuff is launched onto the internet like a "fire and forget" missile and you are not the particular target.
    Ahh, better way of putting it old friend To add to what nihil said, 9 out of 10 cases you are NOT the particular target but rather the finding of a particular scan or just an IP popped out. No one really target's an individual usually unless it's for some special reason (political motivation, corporate gain, etc etc).
    Space For Rent.. =]