Thread: The Antivirus Defense-in-Depth Guide

The Iceman Cometh

The Antivirus Defense-in-Depth Guide

Found this at a news site and downloaded the PDF. I only went through the first 20 pages or so, but it's actually pretty decent, considering it's from Microsoft. Here's a summary of the document and a link to download it below. It might actually be a pretty interesting read for anyone interested in learning a bit more about viruses and other threats. Probably not great for people who already have an in-depth knowledge of viruses, but good for newbies.

"The Antivirus Defense-in-Depth Guide provides an overview of the types of malware and their risks, planning an effective antivirus strategy for your organization, and responding quickly and effectively to infections or incidents when they occur.

Microsoft Solutions for Security: The Antivirus Defense-in-Depth Guide provides an easy to understand overview of the assorted types of malware, their risks, characteristics, means of replication and payloads. The solution also details the considerations for implementing a comprehensive antivirus defense for your network, servers and clients which goes beyond simply installing antivirus software into the related tools which will help reduce your risk of infection. Lastly, the solution provides a comprehensive methodology for quickly and effectively responding to outbreaks or incidents when they occur."

Download it here: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...epth_Guide.pdf

Source: http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=9461

AJ

Just finished reading this 90 page guide, and boy this is useful. I'll recommend this to every newbie who wants to get good insight on viruses and how they work.
    yeah, everything in it is related to windows OS(what else) but it is helpful.
    I was reading it along with a book on OS basics and combination was not bad.

psst..hint: you can also use it to create project report on virus :-)
    It\'s all about sense of power.

I am going to gues here, but there is no actual code in this thing is there. I find that showing someone code on known viruses and explaining how it works, is a really good way to, explain how to defend against.

For those that say, if you can program a virus doesn't necessarily mean you can stay safe against one, I will say, BS, I garuantee you that, if you can program one, you can protect yourself better against them, because you know what to look for.

Kwiep
    in that view you should learn programming instead of viewing the source of one virus... you should understand the possibilities of programming to protect yerself against virusses more effictively... looking at only one virus won't help you much and only covers one of zillion catagories of virusses, in that case a general defense strategy (just don't run stuff you don't know) works alot better
    Double Dutch

Yes, Virus Scanners do require a knowledge of virus', but only if your making one. Thats what I say, learn about virus' and how to terminate and prevent them and make your own virus scanner, probably the best choice would be ASM. But thats only one step to security, you need a decent firewall to make sure your not hacked, or being hacked. Its also a good thing to use high security everywhere on the net, I've found trojans in pop-up's and all kinds of online things. Be afraid, there is so many precautions that must be taken, but linux is the most secure thing you'll find. Abandon Microsoft, they've let us down.
    -Morag_Apocolypse
    The future of programming will be .NET. We must fight it!

Regal Making Handler
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

The Iceman Cometh
    I posted this ages ago.
    Sorry. I looked but didn't find it in the archives.

AJ