BCC box can be viewed by email send by Outlook Express 6

Thread: BCC box can be viewed by email send by Outlook Express 6

AO French Antique News Whore

BCC box can be viewed by email send by Outlook Express 6

Assume you configure Microsoft Outlook Express to break apart e-mail messages larger than a specific size. For example, you specify 60 kilobytes (KB) in the Break apart messages larger than option in the Properties dialog box for the e-mail account.
    When you send an e-mail message that is larger than 60 KB by using Outlook Express 6.0, the e-mail message is sent as a multipart message. If you have also included e-mail recipients in the BCC field of the e-mail message, e-mail recipients who are listed in the To field and in the CC field of the multi-part e-mail message may be able to view the e-mail recipients who are listed in the BCC field if they copy the e-mail message to the desktop, and then open the e-mail message by using Notepad.
    Source : http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;843555
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Well,

If that were a problem you should be using "Pony Express" not Outlook Express

Let's face it, Outlook Express is a poor relation at best, and sertainly not a secure application. It is a freebie tacked on to IE, and is really only for casual home users. The BCC facility is only to keep the size of messages down when you are mailing numerous people.

WORKAROUNDS?

1. Put the circulation list into the document body, send it to yourself (create an account like "postmaster" for yourself) and BCC everyone else you want to receive it.
    (NO! I am NOT a spammer)

2. Send first document without the BCCs, then send it again with the Recipients and CCs with nonsense/spoofed addresses...............you will get those back as undeliverable. Not as elegant, as the BCCs might see that you are messing around, and may not understand why.

PROPER SOLUTION:

Get yourself a decent e-mail client

Conclusion:

Outlook Express is not the sharpest tool in Microsoft's shed

Those are my views on it.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Outlook Express is not the sharpest tool in Microsoft's shed
    No offence, but besides Visio i don't know of a sharp tool by Microsoft.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

1. Put the circulation list into the document body, send it to yourself (create an account like "postmaster" for yourself) and BCC everyone else you want to receive it.
    (NO! I am NOT a spammer)
    How would this help in keeping the contacts you want 'blind' to be 'blinded', they would see all rcpt's in the docs body wouldn't they.

I also dont get your second workaround. How would this prevent my ex-wife from seeing that I bcc'ed the message I sent her, to my lawyer. (for example)

huh..you mean I have NEVER been able to read the BCC list in emails sent from an OLEXP client? .. I haven't bothered looking since IE6.. so i couldn't do it? good thing I had my paranoia cured

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

.: Shrekkie :.

No offence taken mate, I was speaking relatively, or comparatively amongst Microsoft products. For example the "Outlook" that ships with Office is much better than the comparative Outlook Express.

I hope that I made it clear that you should still look at other mail products

|gridley|

OK here is an example:

I send an e-mail to Bill and Anne, who are members of the project team.
    A copy (cc) goes to Sue (Departmental Secretary, perhaps?)

But Bill and Anne have not been pulling their weight on the project, so I need to involve some of the big boys?

What I do is I have an account called "Project-X Postmaster" (Judas would probably be more appropriate )

I type out my memo and at the header (of the memo, not the e-mail) it says:

To: Bill, Anne
    CC: Sue

Then the bulk of the memo.............

I then save this document and send it to "postmaster" and BCC to Bill, Anne, Sue and all the big boys I want to get involved.

Anyone will see from the e-mail that they got a message sent to "Project-X Postmaster" and the subject.....they will not see who else got the message, but can read the memo which says I sent it to Bill and Anne with a copy to their Departmental Secretary (Sue). They will not see the big boys who also got a copy.

OK........ second scenario:

The letter you sent to your wife will only show that you sent it to her.........because that is all you did. You then re-send it with the BCC to your lawyer, but change her address from: wife@ home to: wife@furnace5.hell.

In this case the lawyer will get the BCC but your wife will not get that message (and if she did, I think that your problems would be solved )

Hope that explains

EDIT: I have changed the names to protect the guilty

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    No offence, but besides Visio i don't know of a sharp tool by Microsoft.
    Cmon man, what about M$ BOB?????

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden