Thread: NMAP XP SP2 Patch Released!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Exclamation NMAP XP SP2 Patch Released!

Yep, that's right. The patch contains the fixes for the end of raw socket support in XP SP2. This is the only difference in this rev.

Here is the official word from Fyodor...

Nmap Hackers,

I have released Nmap 3.55-SP2, which works around most of the bone-headed raw sockets restrictions that Microsoft added to Windows XP Service Pack 2. Many thanks to Dana Epp (dana(a)vulscan.com) and Andy Lutomirski (luto(a)stanford.edu), who started working on the problem immediately, and had patches to me within 24 hours of my last nmap-hackers mail about the problem. I sent 3.55-SP2 to the dev list on the 13th to solicit feedback[1], and have not heard many problem reports. You can obtain the binaries from http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap_download.html#windows .

The only difference between this and vanilla 3.55 is Dana's short patch [2]. So there is no reason to upgrade unless you are using Nmap on Windows XP with SP2 installed (or if you are planning to install it). But remember that SP2 may arrive through the Windows Automatic Update system whether you want it or not. SP2 does offer many valuable, real security improvements in addition to IP stack crippling nonsense. Too bad they bundled it all together in one bloated, quarter-gigabyte patch.

[ If anti-MS ranting offends you, stop reading here. I have to get
    some things off my chest ]

With SP2, Microsoft has crippled Windows in the following ways that affect Nmap: 1. TCP packets may no longer be sent through the raw sockets API 2. IP spoofed UDP packets may no longer be sent through raw sockets
    (affects decoy and spoofed scanning).
    3. Outbound TCP connection attempts are throttled to a slow rate.

I think MS should focus on hardening Windows defenses to keep attackers out (more timely patching, limiting services available by default, code auditing, privilege separation, etc.) rather than crippling the IP stack for legitimate users. Even if MS succeeds in preventing users from scanning their own Windows networks for vulnerabilities, attackers will rip right through them using superior systems such as Linux and *BSD that suffer from no such limitations.

More details (and spin) from the horse's mouth are available at [3]. This quote from that MS page sums up their attitude about breaking Nmap and many P2P apps:

Q: What works differently?
    A: This change may cause certain security tools, such as port scanners,
    to run more slowly.

Q: How do I resolve these issues?
    A: Stop the application that is responsible for the failing connection
    attempts.

If applications are broken by SP2, stop using them. Great solution, Microsoft! Fortunately for Nmap users, Microsoft implemented the new restrictions in their typical half-assed fashion. Instead of sending raw IP packets, we move one layer down and send our raw IP packets in raw ethernet frames. It took Microsoft years to develop SP2, but attackers can completely defeat the raw socket and (with a little more
    work) connect() restrictions in minutes! One downside is that Windows Nmap now only works with Ethernet networks, while raw sockets were a cleaner, more portable solution. If this is a problem for you, talk to Microsoft! If enough people complain, they might actually listen to their customers and roll back the new restrictions. I am in communication with several Microsoft employees who are trying to convince the powers-that-be to fix raw sockets, but customer support for the change is critical. Mail me too, as we may be able to add support for other interface types if their is significant demand. Or write a patch and send it to me .

I have not worried much about the connect() throttling at this point. The default SYN scan is usually preferable anyway. If you really want to use -sT on SP2, or if the restriction breaks your P2P or other apps, a patch to tcpip.sys is available at [4].

Cheers,
    Fyodor
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Thanks for the update. Glad I use Linux for most of my scans anyway. Wonder if the changes in SP2 have had any effect on LANGuard or Cain.

It's hard to say without testing. I know there are issues with any vendors who use LSPs in the networking stack. MS has done an outstanding job of fux0ring LSP support though they did give me a private distribution patch that fixes the issue. I'm sure it will be public very soon.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Wonder if the changes in SP2 have had any effect on LANGuard
    TH13 has a strong point: it's hard to say without testing, however based on MY testing with my friends LAN, it doesn't SEEM to have much of an effect on XP SP2 although connection speeds have been out of wack (which could be a totally seperate issue).
    Space For Rent.. =]

For those who do not have a new copy of NMAP to deal with the raw sockets issue, you can simply add this switch to your NMAP command:

--win_norawsock

I usually add it as the first switch but it will work anywhere in the command.

Someone had asked me about this switch so I figured this would be a good place to add it.

--TH13

Antionline Herpetologist
    A side effect of this problem is that you can't use nmap on PPP/PPPOE connections now since winpcap doesn't support them. Which means I am on the lookout for another portscanner with all the features of nmap. Any suggestions. I need at least -sS, -sV, -sP, -P0, -PT, -sT and -O functionality.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

cgkanchi -- Try looking up 7th Sphere Port Scanner. I used it awhile back and it works amazingly and is a good miniature compliment to nmap.
    Space For Rent.. =]