Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Having Trouble with Spybot S&D

Press F8 at a certain point in your computers boot.

This certain point is where the bois "stops" and windows takes over, pressing it a number of times won't hurt.

You will get a menu with a cuple of choices including safe mode.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Ok, ive jus tried that and i can get to the menu but no further that that.

Clarefy that please.

The way I read this it looks as though you don't know how to use that menu.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Oh sorry. I can get to the menu but when i press 3 for safe mode and press enter my computer then goes and turns itself off.

Did you get any kind of error ?
    How far into booting does it get before it shuts down?
    Have you tried booting to command line from that menu ?

Can you think of anything else that would help us help you ?

--

Alway's give as much info as possible (relevant that is)

when i try to run safe mode it shows the windows logo screen when you turn the pc on normally and then shuts down,

Ive tried to boot the command line but i have to put a file path in and i dont know what to do.

All i know is that wininit.exe has something to do with the problem even though i removed it and when i try to load windows it says

''mode select code page function completed

C:/windows/wininit.exe

Press any key to continue''

and after i press a key it shuts down.

Is removing wininit.exe the cause of the problem? To me it seems it is.

Have you tried starting the System in SAFE MODE..?
    from there you can run the system file checker..SFC.. but being Win98 you may have a problem if you need to get any files from the OS CD.. but ONE STEP AT A TIME..
    Can you start in safe mode?
    It seems you can't boot info safe mode.

From what i read deleting Wininit.exe caused the problem of not being able to boot.

So we need a new one. A little google searching gives us this. click

We need the wininit.exe program

and it needs to go here. c:\windows\system.

You do the rest of the math.

[Und3ertak3r] Sysinfo has a startup list and BHO list, but it is very outdated. A better one can be found at Computer Cops..Metallica and Tony Klein keep the BHO list updated, and I can't rememebr who keeps up the startups list. If you go to CC's home page, those pages can be accessed through the menu on the left side.

We need the wininit.exe program
    Unless I have completely missed something, why would you want to put the virus back??

In your Win.ini file, which you can now no longer get too, you will have an entry:
    load=C:\WINDOWS\WININIT.EXE
    Which needs to be removed, or you will continue to have the problem. A boot disk is in order. Once you get booted into a command prompt, then type in the following:
    edit c:\win.ini
    Remove the line, and save your changes, and see if you can boot properly then.

Wininit.exe is a normal file and not a virus. It is however booted by default making it a target for a lot of trojans and viruses.(xabot worm )

If we place the file from the original cd back the problem should be solved.

Ok ive been on google and found a page that helps to solve the problem but im not sure how to extract the file from the cd, can someone give me a step-by-step guide if anyone knows how?

I just tried to edit wininit.ini but when it opened there was nothing in it.