Thread: Setting up a RAS connection on W2k?

Setting up a RAS connection on W2k?

Hey all, I know this has been disscussed before here but I am at a loss on how to find it, so I will ask in a new thread.

I am trying to set up a dial in RAS connection to a remote computer at work that will allow me to dial in from home to access the internet through a win2k box connected to broadband at work. This will basically allow me to get free internet at home. My boss is allowing me to do this and is giving me a dedicated box at work to do this. Does anyone here know what I need to do? I have already set up an incoming connection in network and dialup connections, but when I try to call in the compy does not answer. What am I missing or doing wrong?
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Do you have a firewall at work?

If you do you need to forward the port through to the internal machine that is waiting, otherwise your packets will be dropped by the firewall.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yes, and no... I know this is not the right thing to do but for testing purposes I disabled the firewall to see if that was the problem. It made no difference, the box still wouldn't answer the incomeing call.

Ok.... What protocol is the host accepting and the client sending? RAS can be such a pain in the... You know.... I gave up on it even after I got it working beause it was so slow.... Not that a good VPN doesn't degrade performance a lot but if you can implement that it is easier to set up and faster....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

My boss was the one to suggest the RAS connection, I would do a VPN if it is faster and just as secure, But it is not as secure as RAS... right? It is pointless to use this method though if it would be slower than a dial up connection through an ISP.

If your firewall is capable of being a VPN tunnel endpoint then I think the VPN is more secure. As for speed, if either end is a dial up forget it. If both are cable/dsl or better you'll be just fine. What helps is to have a VPN tunnel to a Terminal Services box on the inside so that the processing takes place there and only the IO goes back and forwards.... Then you might as well be sta at the TS box itself.