Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Browser?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Question What Browser?

i used to use opera, and i liked it quite a bit. however, im looking for a new browser for work. this is the problem.

most websites i use for work, have all been designed to look and function correctly with IE. however, i dont like IE and cannot use another browser, like Opera, which may not show the sites correctly etc etc.

SO.... im looking for a browser which is fairly true to IE display and wont fox anything up too much. windows platform, but preferably linux (Red Hat primary) too as i use it at home and would prefer to handle the same browser at home and work.

Any suggestions?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

K-Meleon, Mozilla, Firefox are all gecko based browsers that are popular alternatives. Mozilla, Firefox can be used on Linux, K-Meleon I'm not so sure of. I believe Fox has a activex plugin for the IE only sites.

If you need to use IE, and you don't like it for security issues, try adjusting the security zones and add your work related sites to the trusted zone.

Maybe read a little of this, theres some security zone details in there I believe.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=258919

edit:
    and wont fox anything up too much
    Does this mean you have tried firefox?

er0k
    dude use Internet Explorer service pack 2 upgrade. it is by far the leetest browser out there. It has so many security features, and incorporates about 1/3 of the ideas distributed in solid working code in most open source browsers such as firefox or mozilla, such as a built in pop-up blocker. IE is leet as ****. as soon as they get it to stop crashing, it'll be almost good enough to go open source

sorry that was arrant sarcasm. firefox owns man. you can fit it to your needs.

Mozilla FireFox (latest version). 'Nuff said
    Space For Rent.. =]

cheers guys,

will look into firefox, sounds promising.

lol @house (er0k) nice comment
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

er0k
    hey who are you, you must have been on irc in the old days to call me house! ???

er0k. lol, yes, see my roll call

i only said it because i KNEW you would react

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=261433
    - Albert Einstein

Just letting you know im using firefox now

seems to work well with the sites ive briefly tested, if any probems come up i'll let you know. couple of little things that ive noticed, like where the curson is for text editing, its really close to the letters, and also the way pictures load. but no dramas in the areas i was concerned.

Thanks guys
    - Albert Einstein

hey, i keep getting this problem and i had it with opera too.... msn messenger insists on opening with IE... ive now got firefox same problem,

how do i get around this please?
    - Albert Einstein

Yea I would also recomend useing mozilla firefox. I use it and ive used opera also. I like it better.