Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philips Monitor

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Philips Monitor

Ok.....

this is the problem i keep having with this philips monitor. its a 107 x4 and very randomly and yet not all the time, it shakes.... as if its being degaused but only on a very small scale, and it keeps going for however long....

now, because there are alot of random things, like how long it shakes and when i cant put it down to anything. i cant find anything around thats causing any interferance, degausing the monitor doesnt help...... the off button doesnt seem to work. lol, its the computer at work :P

i was wondering if there were any problems with this and if anyone knew how to fix it?

any other questions about it just let me know and i will try and answer them for you...

it also has Lightframe(TM) 3. it does the same thing with this option disabled in the monitor bios, and with the software installed or not present.....
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

By any chance have you got a set of speakers near by.?.
    If so move them a lil further away from the monitor.

Another thing could it be your Graphics Card playing up?
    I ask this because on one of my other Box's the screen started to suffer little fits, like yours is suffering.
    And it turned out the Graphics Card was just on it's way out, so maybe try a new/different Graphics Card and post result's please.

f2b:.

speakers, yes. even a mobile phone. but these arent creating the problem.... i have moved everything and tried all... as i said, i cant find anything interfering with it... unless it was something large next door or across the street, but if its that large, it would be used for a moment and then stop at random.

i really hope the graphics card isnt on its way out... being a work computer it wont get fixed until its gone.

thanks anyways....
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Black Bugs?

you know the transformers for all the techno crap you can have around the desk.. Any of this should be at least 12inches (30cm) from the monitor..

some power cables running near the back of the monitor and or parrallell with the Video cable from the PC, but the symptoms for this would be more like a horizontral tearing (ie a straight vertical line woulbe jagged at a close instection)

ANY magnetic field near the Monitor.. even a faulty degausing controller in the monitor could cause it.. If when you hit the degauss button is it a mild action or vey noticable? if mild.. like the effect of pressing the degauss 1-2 mins after another press..suspect the degauss cct..

is the effect over the whole screen or concentrated in one corner or the bottom or the top..

What happens if you give the side of the monitor a Firm tap (like a homer simpson DOH slap in the forhead).. any thing happen then?

incoherient Undies again..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Do you have an office cooling fan near it? I have seen them mess with monitors when the cooling fan was about to burn out.

Do you have an office cooling fan near it? I have seen them mess with monitors when the cooling fan was about to burn out.
    I've had a monitor screen literally blow out in front of me before..
    certainly taught me not to put a huge fan right next to the monitor

i am fairly positive i have covvered everything... the disruption is concentrated around the outside, while the center stays firmly still... but its not the degause controller either, it seems to work fine, and as far as im aware its always been like this.

if it was something causing electrical interferance, why is it at random. nothing is switched on or off, everything is pretty much constant.

and when it starts playing up i have unplugged everything to see if it stopped and nada.
    - Albert Einstein

and hitting the monitor? (yeh I know I am cruel..but I jest NOT)

possables are the deflection yoke, Monitor PSU and a poor contact on the EHT plug on the tube.. (the later will cause "blooming" picture will balloon out and shrink varing in brightnes dependent on picture information), A psu fault (one of many symptoms from this area) as well as a fault from the HV cct will give the effect of the picture blooming again but this will be at a 25 - 100 hz rate and not be nearly as affected by picture information..

In other words.. other than tryiong the monitor on another PC - dif location.. You have a monitor problem.. ..off with its head..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I think that undies is probably right, it sounds like a dud monitor, so you will need to test it somewhere else and try a different monitor on your PC to determine if it is the monitor, your location, or even the monitor/video card combination.

Another thought, is there a neon light on the same power circuit (that is, the plugs on the wall, not the PC set up)...........someone's desk lamp for instance? Also are their other machines on the same circuit that are unaffected (that would tell you the monitor is faulty)

just a thought

thanks guys, will look into getting a new monitor. i just had a quick word with the boss, and apparently previous monitors have done this. its been replaced, i dont know what exactly yet, so its possible the vid card was never replaced and thats the problem. or it still could be interferance on something ive missed.

however, i will keep you posted on any more info i get from the boss. im gonna make a call to the mob who did the monitor cause its been reported before....

sorry im sketchy on the details, it was a quick convo... will keep your posted
    - Albert Einstein