Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow table Generation Project

Lightbulb Rainbow table Generation Project

I am interested in starting a Rainbow table generation project. I am posting to get an idea of intrest from the antionline crowd.

First some info:

What is a rainbow table and what is it used for?
    A Rainbow table is implementation of Philippe Oechslin's technique. faster time-memory trade-off technique.

More info HERE

Would you be interested in generating tables? It takes about 3 days to generate a table and we would be looking for about 500-1000 tables total at 650mb each. This thread is to guage the amount of intrest in the antiOnline community.

You would be pioneering the largest table set known to date (largest so far is about 120gig)

I would be heading the project and have a lab to use during off hours that consist of 25 Dell Poweredge servers, 50 WinXP workstations - and a SAN and DVDburners for backup.
    Dyn/Gnosis ~ Powerful/Knowledge
    www.Dyngnosis.com
    Tutorials - Site Penetration Logs - (TheCommunity)Forums - Toolss

AO French Antique News Whore
    How would we transfer the table to you? P2P network?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

FTP is an option as is buring CDs or DVDs and shipping via snail mail.
    www.Dyngnosis.com

Who is going to benefit from this? Your site seems rather, erm, unprofessional to be an organized body of individuals interested in computer security. What guarantees will members have that it will be used for security research and not for hacking/cracking/etc?
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I'd rather waste my time on something else.. Like sleeping..

120GB is quite a lot to compute, and store. Heck, I only have 80GB left on my main machine right now, and I expect to get some new drives later this year after I run out of space. I might like the idea if I got to use the table, but moving 120GB around isn't a lot of fun. My main machine has enough power to compute around 2GB a day if I left it on the whole time, which I definately won't. And I don't even want to think about uploading 2GB a day, or mailing CDs every day. Economically (buying CDs, burning them, and doing what I usually do which can be processor intensive) this isn't good for me.

Although it sounds like an interesting idea to go and get your name out there, I guess. Although, it really isn't something I feel like I want to be a part of. Cheers dude.

Thank you for all of your replies...

err0r~ Great tutorial buddy Thanks for posting the link.

chsh~
    our site seems rather, erm, unprofessional to be an organized body of individuals interested in computer security
    I'm interested to know why you feel that way. I invite you to PM me or we can discuss this in forum if you prefer. This is an exciting project designed to push the boundries of the rainbow tables... Please explain yourself.

Tim ~ Thanks for your reply and intrest in the project. If you would like to follow out progress keep an eye on my websit (in all of my message footers). If you decide late in the game to join up we would of course be intrested in your help. In regards to your concerns of storage - I was thinking it will be an online job queing web application (your thoughts on this are welcome).

Thanks again for your posts, thoughts and input folks.
    Jeremy
    www.Dyngnosis.com

That was less of my question. I'd appreciate knowing (as I asked in the first place):
    What guarantees will members have that it will be used for security research and not for hacking/cracking/etc?
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Im not exactly what kind of what kind of 'guarantees' your looking for chsh. The internet being as it is -- it is hard to say how I can guarantee you anything. Would you suggest we write up a contract? ...heh

Your slanted view of site was more my question then yours. However it was an attempt to address your concerns in regards to the sites focus as that is no doubt the root of your concern.

I have no idea how i can put your worries to rest chsh and I doubt very much we will see much from you as far as participation in this project goes. If you would like to discuss further I suggest we take this to PM.

Regards,
    Jeremy
    www.Dyngnosis.com