Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming from the office (thought the router?)

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Your original question was:-

is there anyway to detect/redirect port settings from a client inside the network to a gaming server that I cannot manipulate?
    My answer above was right there.... Firstly how to detect and secondly how to manipulate.....

Now, you seem to be changing your question just a teeny bit.... Now you seem to want to know is there a way around the firewall so that the game could be played within the restrictions placed by the specific port assignments of the game and your inability to manipulate the firewall rules....

Ok, that's a different question..... The short answer is no. The long answer is that if you were to be able to circumvent the system the game would play so slowly and crappily that you'll probably wish you hadn't wasted your time in the first place......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

yes, you can redirect ports to bypass some kind of firewalls/proxy.

no, you cant do "invisible". You can be detect by "traffic pattern".

This is answers your question?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Caca:

How are you going to do that with the game server ports fixed and no access to the firewall. Any port redirection would have to be done at the game server, (which he has no control over), or at the firewall which he has no control over. If the firewall drops packets destined for the game server on the game server's fixed ports then no amount of tunneling it out through http or whatever is going to get a response from the game server unless you use a proxy that port switches the packets.... By the time you do that the game will be unplayable.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thank you Tiger.

I suspected as much but my limited knowledge of "tunneling" had me hoping that there was a solution... Oh well, that one stays at home I guess.

Lerm:

Glad to be of service....

Caca:
    Tigra:

i can tunnel request thru http, using my home computer as a tunnel server.

fw/proxy will think that is a regular http traffic.
    Meu sítio

DOH, DOH, DOH!!!!! Sorry......

I know..... But how playable is the game when you are done.... It sucks right? That's my point.

think about that most of the games are designed to play on 33.6 Kb.

So you have a 10Mb link at your company and a 256 Kb at home.

Even with lag introduced by tunelling i think that will "worth" playing and doing other stuff
    while working

ive got a guy doing that on a company. He was very happy until get caught. :P

Just thru traffic shape. Its pretty odd a http connection with a regular activity (5Kb-15Kb), direct to a adsl-ip host, isnt it?
    Meu sítio

I appreciate the extra effort (and the civil nature) of these additional posts but I'm gonna have to agree with Tiger on this due to several factors...

1. The game's got bad enough lag on my home PC.... making it worse would truly make it unplayable even if the connection didn't get dropped.

2. The "point" would have been primarily to run a macro which I didn't want running on my home PC because of the use it gets from the wife & kids during the day while I'm at work.

It's intriging to know it's possible, even if it's not practical.

Thanks again guys.

You can always play Ragnarok Online ....its a pretty cool game.

How about installing a dial-up service at the computer, then use the FAX line to dial to the internet. Of course...if you get faxes all the time its not a good idea .