Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox has become a slug??

Firefox has become a slug??

HAve only been seriously useing Firefox for about 2 months or so.. Until recently 0.9.2 was doing well but about a week ago it would use 80-90% of cpu time it became a real slug..
    tried system restore to 2 week prior.. no good.. un-restored - Uninstalled FF and upgraded to 0.9.3 .. now it seems one on 5 starts and it is ok.. maxing cpu usage during its start and webpage load..then Idiling at 70% and creeping upto 95% cpu.. or just loading at 95% and stayiong there

i am a bit of a pig with how I use it .. with some 8 Tabs loading at start.. shutting these off till there is only one tab in use makes no difference and allowing it to start with only one tab has made no difference..

The system that is having the problem is a AMD 2000+ with 512Mb with WinXP pro.. oh 120GB hdd with approx 40% free space..
    Have no problems running IE6.1 or MYIE2 (same number of stsrt up tabs and sites)

I had run Process explorer.. no real finds in here
    Any thoughts? I have run avg/adaware se/spybot s&d/ winpatrol.. haven't done an online scan with trend/symantec/panda as yet..

Any other thoughts.. ideas to probable cause..

Have been thinking of a clean install to load SP2.. I may have the excuse i need..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I take it that you have emptied the cache, cleared all history and defragmented your HDD?

Is Java enabled?, if so, have you emptied its cache?

Have you loaded or updated any software recently?

A bit of a guess but could you try booting without your firewall and AV, then manually starting the firewall and AV then starting Firefox, allow a minute or two between each one............I am looking for some sort of conflict.

Cheers

Thanks for that Nihil..

Didn't help.. Online AV came up clean.. built a fresh Bart disk with updated AV and Adware defs.. clean,,

Tried a system restore to 1 month ago.. (That is the limit of my restores).. no diff..

My day off.. don't want to use my brain..

Decided the installation was just over 2 years old.. want to get it up and running for monday.. so while I speak the HDD is being formated .. this ole p111 733 aint all that bad..Daugher has hit the hay......so I am allowed to play on it..hmmm this one is about 2 and a half years old.. hmmm .. nah no probs with it.. certainly no hic-cups since its brush with Netsky.p

Cheers my machine is about to want my attention..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Now up and running minus the last 6 MS updates, have decided to risk a SP2 just for the hell of it

Firefox is ideling along at <1%Cpu usage, and will max at 60% (while opening).. Now that is the firefox I remember..

Cheers

problem has returned..and now have noticed a link..

Jupmedia..and AVG

Of the pages set to open when firefiox opens 3 of them are hosted by Jupmedia .. if I close each of these in turn the CPU usage drops to either zero or near zero.. The problem seem to be page content ..ie an advertisment.. .. the home page of AO is fine but some of the thread pages shoot cpu usage above 80%.. After a bit of checking the smae problem occures on the other Jup media sites as well.. funny thiough..it is only this AMD machine, a AMD machine at work (duron 900) hasn't encountered any probs.. (winXP/2K)..
    AV progs are different.. This one: AVG (just upgraded to V7 from the freebie v6), others at home NAV 2003.. and work is NAV corp(Win2k)/VET(winXP)..

so with the install of XP now being 3 days old(starting into the 4th day) and the problem resurfacing on the 2nd day ..(the day that I installed AVG 6)...

Or have I been to quick in blaming AVG..

Cheers

seems, from the responces on other forums, that a 50-60% cpu usage is not unusual and is generaly accepted as being ok... "Is it causing a problem"

Oh and if posting in public forums about a problem with Firefox.. don't make it sound like your baging the ****ing program.. it is a beta for goodness sake..

And yes I have placed comments on the firefox forum. but it seems I should get the latest nightly build before I can submitt a bug report..

From what I have found it is SITE and PAGE dependent.. most likley sites are those from Jup Media.. it isn't all the time.. the sites I test regularly are AO, Virtualdr, and wifi planet....

So I take it of the people who have viewed this thread..None of you are useing Firefox on XP or none have ever noticed a cpu usage above 20% when FF is idle?

cheers

I think page content is a big issue. JUPM isnt exactly known for its standards compliant code. One of the reasons people use standards complaint code (I'm talking about XHTML 1.0 and CSS here) is because of the serious reduction in HTML code and complex tables which reduces loading time.

Of course, Flash and Java also eat CPU power. JUPM likes to use Flash ads.
    Bleh.

Hi Undies,

I don't run firefox but I have an AMD 1900+ with Mozilla and Opera running XPpro. I normally run PC cillin, but have AVG (6) on it so I tried it with that as well. No unusual signs of CPU usage though, and I use the machine to get on AO when I am working with it.

I will run some more tests tomorrow and note down the values, then get a d/l of Firefox and see if I can reproduce the problem. I think I can get a 30 day trial of AVG 7?

Just a thought, what firewalls are you running on these machines, and are there any differences in Java, DirectX, activeX, pop-up stoppers, adblockers, SpyBot S&D "teatimer" etc.

I am afraid that shows that I have a lot of experience with WinME

Cheers

BANNED
    I was getting a 60%+ usage after I shutdown firefox. I would have to open the task manager and end it on the processes menu. I'm taking a break from XP for a little bit until I get a new computer or I would load AVG and see if I had the same problem. Maybe after my roommate goes to sleep I'll use his computer.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

HAd narrowed the problem to SOME ADvertisements that are a Flash Movie..seems many of the Intel, HP And Misrcoft ads are just that.. The most troublesome ones were a HP banner most recently on VirtualDr and WiFi planet..

Have now just updated Firefox to V0.1pr

will see how it travels

Cheers