Hi can anyone help

Thread: Hi can anyone help

Banned

Hi can anyone help

I have a p3 machine with 184 mb sdram and a 40 gb hdd with no partitions.
    I have windows 98 as os and want to upgrade to win xp. the major problem is that i do not want lose my data and some of the installed softwares of which i don't have the setups anymore. As if i install windows xp i will have to lose my previous data. I also want to keep 98 alongside xp in the same way that i have now.
    Can anyone please help me out?

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

By reading your post first i got the impression that you wnats to upgrade windows 98 to windows XP...........But i think you wnat a Dual Boot...........and you have a single partation of 40 GB ....don't you think two 20 GB each would have been more appropriate .......just a few random suggestions

Ok you want a dual boot of XP and Windows 98...........so whats the problem ........just install Windows XP and you are done.................simple as that

Boot your Computer from a Windows 98 Bootable CD or Floopy put your Windows Xp CD in .....Browse to the I386 Folder ........type winnt and press enter ............. let the setup complete and Vola you have both of them ...

And you wouldn't loose any file or data or Installed Programs in windows 98 .............and will have both of them Dual Boot of windows 98 and XP

But you got to understand installing a OS can be sometimes pain in the ass i learnt it the hard way......... so to be sure back up your absolute critical data then go ahead ..........with little good luck everything should be ok .

and you can have both of them on the same partation .......i have them no problem as yet ...i have heard form some that it sometimes causes problems ........haven't seen any as yet.

The current installed softwares that are installed in windows 98 ......will be on Windows 98 and not XP you will have to reinstall them on XP .

If you have any Queries or when done get back to us how it all went ........

--Good Luck--

If you can afford it, get a second hard drive for XP.
    There is a little trickery to setting up a dual boot system with
    two Separate drives running Microsoft OSs (both prefer
    to be on the primary master drive), but it would be worth it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...2two+drives%22
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I don't think dualbooting (in this case) would be the right way to go. IMO, buy a second hard drive for the WinXP bit or backup the data/files you want to save onto a floppy and/or a regular system backup disk and then do the process from there.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    Thanks for the reply's.
    if u have more suggestions about my problem without having to buy a new hdd please post them.
    Is there any software available to make partitions on existing drives without having to format them??

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

I don't think dualbooting (in this case) would be the right way to go. IMO,
    I would really like to know why Spyder.............what problem do you think could arise.............i have beeen using a sysyetm i which i have more than one OS on the same Partation .....the Hardisk has one single partation both the OS's are Intalled on it.

The only Problems that came to my mind are .......it's a bit Untidy...........things can sometimes get hotch potch .........like i istalled Firefox on both and intalled it on the same folder C:\Program\files the default for both the OS nad when i unstalled it form windows 98 unknoiengly got installed for the XP ........

and some minor ones like that ones that i have now learned to cope with

if there are any more serious reasons that against doing i would really like to know ......

Is there any software available to make partitions on existing drives without having to format them??
    Partition Magic

--Good Luck--