Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange boot-up problem

Strange boot-up problem

I have just come across a rather weird one that might interest you

The machine is a Pentium/ 128Mb RAM running WinME (fully updated) IE6 (fully patched).

On boot up it would either attempt to run scandisk and stall, or start the boot up and windows desk top load, then stall. On looking at the processes msgsrv32 had stopped responding. (sounds familiar?)

The strange part is that the system will boot if you go into safe mode, let scandisk run, then do a warm restart!

On powerdown, the "it is now safe to turn off your computer" message appears. On the next start up it attempts to run scandisk and stalls as previously described.

I have discovered that disabling the firewall (ZoneAlarm) automatic load on boot up, letting the machine boot, then starting ZoneAlarm manually resolves the problem and the machine boots and runs normally.

I am still trying to find out what ZoneAlarm is conflicting with.

The symptoms were so weird I thought they deserved a mention

Maybe its haunted ?

But really symptons like these would make me want to reinstall windows.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188803

SYMPTOMS
    When you shut down or restart your Windows 98-based or Windows 95-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages, and your computer may stop responding (hang):

MSGSRV32.EXE caused a general protection fault in module CM8330SB.DRV

EXPLORER caused a general protection fault in module CM8330SB.DRV

MSGSRV32.EXE: An error has occurred in your program. To keep working anyway, click ignore and save your work in a new file. To quit this program, click Close. You will lose information you entered since your last save.

Iexplore caused an general protection fault in module cm8330.drv
    CAUSE
    This issue can occur if your computer uses a sound card or a modem that is based on the C-Media CMI8330 sound chip. This sound chip is used as the basis for several sound cards, and is also used with some modems.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, contact the manufacturer of your sound card or modem to inquire about the availability of an updated driver for your sound card or modem.

NOTE: If you are unable to contact the manufacturer of your sound card, you can try to use the C-Media Windows 98 sound card driver version 4.10.00.0152 or later. This driver is available on the following C-Media Web site:
    http://www.cmedia.com.tw
    I feel like I'm trying to teach an elder relative, how to remove the contents of an ovum, through a negative pressure loss system ...........

However, I'll post the above in case someone is reading for information purposes.

On boot up it would either attempt to run scandisk
    Scandisc runs if you have failed to shut down correctly.
    So, assuming that nihil is aware of the correct procedure to shut down ............... My 2c worth would be faulty software. And for me, maybe not as drastic as moonwolf:
    But really symptons like these would make me want to reinstall windows.
    But at least attempt a repair to the OS, if you have the CD's available ?

I believe that the F/W conflict would resolve itself when the OS is running correctly again.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I tend NOT to have a lot of patience with winME.

Bad experience.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Well, I admit that 128Mb is not a lot to run WinME on, but I did run RAM Idle Pro (a memory manager), and it did not show any resorce problems.

I am guessing that this is ZoneAlarm and something else conflicting. Particularly as everything is fine if I don't let ZoneAlarm run automatically, but start it manually?

The other strange thing is that I get the message that it is safe to turn off the computer, but it tries to run scandisk on the next boot?..............this does not happen if I manually start ZoneAlarm after the boot.

Foxy~ I spent some time on the MS site and the net looking, but no reference to the error messages that I am getting...............I know that msgsrv32.exe is not an unusual one, just the locations are different.

Cheers

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q273017

This deals with the problem in general, but not with reference
    to conflicts with other software. May help though.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

nihil: Scary, I'm dealing with the same exact problem. And the weird thing is, it all began after I began doing some testing work with ZoneAlarm (which is installed, although I doubt is the reason.. who knows). It even loads scandisk automatically on bootup in safe mode (scary again) and in regular mode. Anyways, I'm clueless right now..
    Space For Rent.. =]

BANNED
    Are you using ver 5.0? If so this may have something to do with it.
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=13337#M13337

EDIT: blah the thread that tells you to go to another thread to get the earlier version is a broken link.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Spyder~

Yes, this machine was opening scandisk in both normal and safe mode boots. The difference was that it would complete in safe mode but just freeze the box in normal mode.

Could you try booting into safe mode then "restart" (warm boot) and see if it boots normally then.

I do not think that it is the problem that Muert0 mentions, as I do not get the message, just a frozen system that I have to forcibly power down. Also, that error goes back to June, and I have a more recent version of ZA.

rcgreen's suggestion is good if you have a fast machine with a 7200rpm HDD and a large cache. What happens is that the box is shut down before the cache is written. The "fix" introduces a 2 or 3 second delay to let it finish properly. The fix has worked for me several times, but the machine I am talking about is old and slow, so that is not the issue (it was already installed anyway....reference is Q273017 btw)

You might also like to get WinPatrol from BillP Studios, I think that the link is:

http://www.winpatrol.com

Use the start programs manager and suspend :

Zlclient (Zone Alarm)
    Vsmon (true vector thingy)

Then see if you can boot normally, start ZA manually, shutdown and get a normal cold boot the same as I have.

I am pretty sure that it is some sort of ZA bug/conflict that we have found

nihil:
    The difference was that it would complete in safe mode but just freeze the box in normal mode.
    Yup, and freeze up before I have the chance to do anything.

I am pretty sure that it is some sort of ZA bug/conflict that we have found
    It's starting to look like it, but I dunno.. I'ma uninstall ZoneAlarm in safe mode, reboot, and see what happens. I'm also going to be playing around with other increments that could affect it.
    Space For Rent.. =]