Ping Ressurection

Thread: Ping Ressurection

Angry Ping Ressurection

The Boxes in my college netlab runs Xp Pro.The students keep beating the crap out of each

other by pinging each other up !.I made a program in C which displays the same output that

you'd get from a ping and named it ping.exe and replaced the real ping in the windows

directory with the intent that the students would think that they're actually pinging when they run ping!!.But

windows keeps on replacing the old ping.I tried deleting it and after a while shez back !!.Is

there someway to kill her ???

PaCkeT THIRST

Why not just remove their rights to use the ping executable?

What is likely doing it is system restore or something along those lines.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

AO French Antique News Whore
    Remove ping.exe from your dll cache in c:\windows\system32\dllcache

You need to show hidden and system file to see this directory!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I could give rights to the users;But i'd be kicked in the ass if i did so.So the best way for

everyone to be happy is to make a program that fakes a ping !!

Thats exactly wat i did SDK .But she keeps coming back !!

AO French Antique News Whore
    You got the i386 folder on your machine hard drive? If the installation was done from c:\i386 and you deleted a file from dllcache, windows will automatilly get it from the i386 folder.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Banned
    Your problem would have been pretty easy to fix in previous versions of Windows (although it's not fool-proof):
    DOS internal commands are executed before batch-files, of course: BUT, for some cool reason, MS allowed Doskey macro's to be executed before internal commands. You could do a "doskey ping=dir", and executing a "ping" would make DOS do a "dir".
    You can still do that in WinXP, but the problem with XP is making it resident...
    In previous versions, you could right-click the DOS-command in Windows and "attach" a batch-file-that-should-be-executed-when-starting-the-command-prompt to it. You could then put the "doskey ping=dir" command in a batch-file and have it execute on opening a DOS-prompt.
    Can't do that in XP anymore (afaik... would love to hear a solution)...

There's a registry-key for cmd.exe... would it be possible to change it to execute a little batch-file upon execution?

Thanks folks for your help !. I tried deleting ping.exe from the safe mode command prompt and now she's gone !!.

Don't a few important applications rely on a working ping.exe? I don't think the smartest idea is to make a dummy ping.

Don't you have a router or firewall where you can block future pings if the pings are, lets say more than 8 packets sent in a row? (I think Windows ping defaults to four packets sent, this allows people who actually don't mess around with ping be able to use it).

[P.S. - Why is this in the General Technology Forums / Operating Systems?]
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]