Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember Y2k ?

PacketThirst,

You have my interest. However, you have yet to provide even an iota of proof within your posts. They remind me of passing gas, it stinks for a while but the air clears because there is no substance remaining.

Show us the evidence. Why don’t you provide verifiable proof rather than passing opinions based on paranoia? That way we can all have a Charmin moment together.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

AO is not a place where you solely deal with security. Its also a place for professionals to share their knowledge, a place where people can learn, and a place where you can ask for help on a computer related problem.

I know that Mr.Cyber1d.But Antionline is best known for its security stuffs..... Wasn't antionline started by some hacker ?? ..

Aren't we getting a bit off the topic Cyber1d.I accept the fact that you have superior

knowledge compared to mine.But i can't figure out why ur not understanding me!!

Hey Relyt .. i started this thread just to discuss about our actions trying to be monitored.And

personally i think that the Y2K bug was just made up by the government for doing something.

I have a provided a link to an article related to that.Im just giving my opinion ...

PaCKet Thirst

I know that Mr.Cyber1d.But Antionline is best known for its security stuffs..... Wasn't antionline started by some hacker ?? ..

Aren't we getting a bit off the topic Cyber1d.I accept the fact that you have superior

knowledge compared to mine.But i can't figure out why ur not understanding me!!
    LOL there's a topic? I thought the topic was to discuss privacy issues and then we started talking about bin laden and now we're talking about the internet being impossible to control...so I really think we need to refine the point of this thread a bit.

What was the purpose of the Y2K bug, to be created by the government? Again, our actions are not trying to be monitored....they ARE being monitored.

I think you need to stop reading conspiracy theories .

I'll take your advice Cyber1d

What was the purpose of the Y2K bug, to be created by the government? Again, our actions are not trying to be monitored....they ARE being monitored

Thats what i wanna know

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    personally i think that the Y2K bug was just made up by the government for doing something
    PacketThirst, the Y2K bug wasn't made up. It was a legit problem based on bad coding procedures. I even hesitate using the word 'bad' because when some of these programs were intially coded, no one was really thinking about the year 2000. You've got to remember that Cobol was the main source of this problem and considering it's been around since 1959, I doubt the year 2000 was the most prevelent thing on their minds when they coded. It was just simply easier to code using the last two digits (of the year) for comparisons, instead of all four.
    As an ex mainframe programmer I can assure you of two things. One, I spent a good year and then some fixing these programs for Y2K compliancy. Two, we didn't inject any of the code we fixed with some high tech spyware or imbedded nanoprobes or whatever else your imagination can brew up.
    It was a simple, legit problem.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

It was a rhetoric question....

Why do you want to know why the government created the y2k bug when you don't know IF the government created the y2k Bug.

Oh boy.

First of all, Corporate America is "Big Brother". They are the ones that want to know what color underwear you have. I clean up adware, TONS of it, and so far none of it has sent information to home base at a .gov domain.

Adware is big brother, a bigger brother than the goverment has ever succeeded to accomplish, 10 kabillion jillion zillion times over.

Second of all, Corporate America owns you. You can't even search google without your habits being tracked. People complain that cameras are being put up at intersections...
    I think they should complain about the possiblity that everything they search for on Google can now be linked to their Gmail account... Yeah that's right. Look at your cookies.

Third, the goverment is so closely watched these days, Bush can't even fall off a segway without making the news.

Fourth, want a Big Brother free OS? Learn to use linux.

There is no goverment conspiracy. Our goverment is as dumb as any workplace enviroment. It's like Dilbert, IMO. It's the marketers I'm worried about. Y2K conspiracy my ass, it was a legit programming problem. If you've taken intro to programming, you would understand the problem. A little unhandled error will crash a program. If that program is critical, like a hospital database or airline database, then problems can happen. Obviously, the problem is trivial and was proven to be handled well, but it still had to be handled.

hey PacketThirst lets just agree that goverment have got their own personal monitering lines of code's in OS. but doesnt the internet depend on protocols like TCP/IP rather then OS. i mean lets take an example of canivore a program used by F@# for monitering a certain IP and the data it sends, now i dont think it matters what OS the IP is using wouldnt it send packets over the internet following the prescribed protocols. so then we come down to your ISP and the goverment's co-operation. what do you say ? If your ISP would sniff all your data and present it to the govement then even without having their own lines of code in the OS they can watch you. like Cybr1d said "No one can ever control the internet". i also agree with Relyt . why dont you get some proof. maybe then you can change people's opinion. anyway peace.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

But how come nothing happened after 2000.I don't remember using the fix for my old pentium

and she just worked fine.The media was giving full coverage on the Y2K bug that great

disastors would happen.But What did happen ???