Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Remember Y2k ?

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by PacketThirst
    And personally i think that the Y2K bug was just made up by the government for doing something.
    While you are entitled to your opinion, can you back this up with any proof whatsoever? Everyone I talk to says the problem was legit... Any links you can post? I haven't seen any, but then again I can be rather blind at times.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

So finally settled Y2k was real ..........just got too much media hype thats all ....home users didn't had to worry much but the media made it look like Tech. holocaust .

And regarding Govt. stealing privacy and freedom

"So long as the state exists there is no freedom. When there is freedom, there will be no state" --- Lenin

--Good Luck--

Here's a nice read...bloody huge though:
    http://www.epic.org/privacy/carnivore/carniv_final.pdf

Corporations definitely exercise their ability to invade our privacy much more frequently and flagrantly, but I wouldn't say that that makes them the worst.
    Governments have direct control over things like armies, cops, secret police - you know, guys with guns. This means that although the instances of privacy violation are less widespread, their implications are more severe.
    Google's not going to invite some men in black to your apartment at 3am for an interrogation session, but if you mention in an email that you wish the president would die, the government just might.

Freedom does not exist. Philosophically or socially, there is no such thing. Just get it out of yur head. I don't want anybody to mention the Eastern Block in order to defend American principles and the so-called freedom of North America. I lived there and I know what it's about, my parents and grandparents had more to suffer from it than I had. We sit and bitch about Big Brother all day... nothing's gonna change. He's still there, watching.

If he indeed is as dangerous as Orwell made him look, then all this bitching is useless. It doesn't matter. There's no escape. You can think you have privacy, or that BB can be deceived... truth is, you don't matter that much. You're just a number in a database, a referrence to an oxygen-breathing carbon unit. In a controlled world your thoughts are the first to suffer from it, your thoughts are the first to be 'corrupted'.

Everything around you is made up. Enjoy the life you can make for yourself [if even that is possible] within the Box, because that'll be the only Nirvana you're entitled to. No Heaven, no Hell, just reality - or the substituent we know.
    /\\

Banned
    Man things have changed in a year.

PacketThrist, consider yourself lucky you signed up this month and not a year or so ago when the antipoint system was introduced. You would have been Neg AP to death by seniors trying to achieve balance.

Y2K, yeah it happened, and yeah it was blown out of portion. Anyone who signs up to this site should know by now that the media will hype anything that sells papers or gets airtime. Just look at Britney and Madonna making out, or Jackson's "nipple slip". If it sells, shoot it.

Just look at all the "warnings" the American gov't sends about terrorist attempts. "Believe the hype".

As for the whole conspiracy thing.... the only place that's safe is within our heads, and even that is in question. All I can say is make sure you don't stand out as someone interesting and "they" should ignore you for being boring.

if the "thought police" and "Big Brother" want to watch me on the telescreen, as far as i'm concerned they can. if they want to take me to room 101... have at it. i'll chat with Winston, and Parsons... after they brainwash me of course.
    \"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.\" - V

A bit off Topic, but i hope good for a laugh ......

Kenya's Y2K Report was commisioned by their Government, it was due on the 21 June 2000 <---- i dont think they believed the hype ... hahahaha......

2 cents, Y2K was hype more than anything else. i remember copmanies blowing their entire budget, never mind IT budget, on audits and fixes. We had serious man power issues. in the end, it made no difference, nothing happened, except in pakistan, if memory serves, a "close" neighbour of yours PT.

big brother can control the net, when it becomes standardised. i dont agree that it is possible now, but like the old wild west, once things become standardised and implimented, they could control the net. however, i dont believe that y2k was used as a ruse to infect your machine with code, what happens on upgrade?! new machine, then for example, what and how to they infect you hence?!

it would be easier and alot less complex for you to imagine they are watching you. it would take petabyte upon petabyte (btw IBM Cannot even build a machine big enough, never mind the gov) that would be used to surveil you all the time .............. does not make sense in this reality. Yes they are watching that is a given, dont do bad, or place yourself in a situation that allows/warrants them to come after you...........
    HO$H Pagamisa. Pro Amour Ludi....

although i dont do too much wrong anymore, privacy is a very big concern of mine. im one of those people that refuse to use ez-pass just because the state should not keep records of where i go and when...well in peace time anyway...but i still wont use it even in these times. i refuse to give anyone that information when asked including my girl friend. besides the transponders at toll plazas, bridges and tunnels, transponders are placed at many places along our nations hyways where nothing is collected but the data itself

soda's right in the fact the adware far surpasses the government on collectiog information. the government has laws keeping it from collectiong such data. the government recognizes this.

remember 'Total Information Awareness'. its still being developed but its no longer called TIA. one of the things TIA does is access data that the adware folks have already collected. buying it in some cases and combining it with all the data they've already collected on us. profiling every man, woman and child in america.

i could go on and on to prove that im a privacy carmudgeon but i tihink you get the point.

have NO doubt y2k was NOT a conspiracy but was rather a real concern. we had some in house software, by in house i mean that it was programmed in house for our purposes, that started listing dates in the 1800's for DOB and last payment...that type of thing.

everything we do is being monitored. while i think this is a good thing in times of war, it better come to an end when the trouble is over.

privacy is not a 'birth right'. its something that we create for ourselves while some of it is granted us by others. it can be taked away if we commit a crime, betray a trust or if we're dumb enough to allow it to happen. there is a crime called "invasion of privacy" but there is no law against keeping some one from having it. the privacy has to exist for the crime to be commited.

your concern is a real one but your sources of information seem to suck!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

]Besides we know that Santa Clause has been watching everything we do from when we are childeren.. And just who is he giving this information to? hmmmm!
    Why has this thread been allowed to go this far? and a BS subject in a security forum.. why ?

You guys must have nothing better to do than carry this crap to this extreem..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr