Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Remember Y2k ?

If OS's were spilling private information about us, then privatly run sniffers and IDS's would have been going crazy for years. Cisco built the internet, .gov didn't.

I don't want to hear any Al Gore built the internet jokes.

PT: Nothing happened because the bug would have to have existed in certain software to break. It was completely possible that the error would be unhandled in some software, but it turned out it was handled or nonexistent in all.

Try to understand that it was Y2K was an overreaction by under educated people that had absolutely no idea what the Y2K bug even means, sort of like what you are doing right now. Y2K was created by concerned coders, and sold by the media.

You got me wrong byteWrangler.When i talked abt the OS i meant that the government could

like monitor us using a code they have added in the OS.

like Cybr1d said "No one can ever control the internet".
    I said that??

But how come nothing happened after 2000.I don't remember using the fix for my old pentium

and she just worked fine.The media was giving full coverage on the Y2K bug that great

disastors would happen.But What did happen ???
    Plenty happened throughout the world. Panic, and Paranoia, stores were raided, people hid of fear of a nuclear war, people bought tons of canned food and water.

The media gives full coverage of a lot of ****...doesn't mean they're right ...

Originally posted here by PacketThirst
    But how come nothing happened after 2000.I don't remember using the fix for my old pentium
    Because your old pentium didn't have Y2K compliance issues.

and she just worked fine.The media was giving full coverage on the Y2K bug that great
    disastors would happen.But What did happen ???
    Well, those disasters are unrelated to your old home PC. They were discussing issues that abounded in older, larger, harder to fix systems. I personally wasn't too worried about Y2K because my dad had been driving around my home province at least fixing the government-regulated power company computers as early as 1996. The reason nothing came of it was because everyone was prepared. The reason such a large issue was made of it was because of ignorant armchair computer people who happened to get some on-screen time deciding to spread some fear, at least as far as I can tell.

At any rate, those are the technical reasons. Any other "conspiratorial" reasons are off-topic for this forum, and you might want to bring them up in General Chit Chat or Cosmos (maybe?).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Thanks all for the valuable information.I'm convinced to some extend that the Y2K was for real.

But we are being monitored ..................

PackEtThirsT

But we are being monitored ..................
    Yeah...SO?

So...we lose our privacy.How'd you feel if the government kept a cam in ur toilet to monitor

you ???

I think that is a load of ****

and I'm with Soda_Popinsky on this one..

Corporations using Spyware is worse then the government can do (they'd like to, but can't)
    All those totalitarian regimes are salivating by the prospects of spyware anywhere..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

do you really think its anarchy?...i dont think so
    juicy`peanut

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    As for the Y2K bug:
    In my previous job [Elec Eng] we had to ensure that the machinery on site was Y2K compliant.
    We audited every machine on site, sent all details off to all the relevant manufacturers, and received from them a letter either stating that their machinery was Y2K safe. Or, we got a letter and a floppy to load into the machine to make it safe. (floppy, no CD-Roms on OUR machinery, not even now ........)

The units that were safe, were ones that had no time clock source requirements in their software to be corrupted by Y2K.

The units that were at risk, had to have patches that allowed the date to be set as a 4 figure code for the year. ie 1999 was set as 99 at first, this doesn't make a lot of difference, but when you have password facility in the software that uses the date to set its password, then the 2000 problem becomes apparent.

If you use a two figure number to crunch up a password, then the mutiplication is fine; as long as the numbers are real.

2000 as a two figure gives you 00, when you multiply any numbers together, and in there is a value of zero, then the answer is zero.

We had another unit that saw 2000 as 00, and assumed it was 1900. Therefore, it saw that everything that it had just packed was out of date, and sent it to the bins .................

We had great fun messing around for close on 9 months trying to save our asses for New Years Eve 1999.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone