Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: to know something about person in chat room

Originally posted here by therenegade
    whois:it's a command on irc that lets you check if a particular nick is online...with a list of all the room's he's in and the ip(usually masked now though)
    Hmm either online or just gives you more information about that nickname... listing all the rooms that nick appears on that aren't either private or secret.

Also, I know mode +x works on Undernet, don't know about other places - but will try out.
    /\\

Yes, as stated IRC servers don't always mask their users IP's.

Suprisingly some of the bigger servers also practice (or don't) this policy, while some only mask the first section - a problem if you're on an ISP such as BlueYonder which usually states your city name e.g. xxx.23.34.55.edin.01.blueyonder.co.uk for an Edinburgh user. Personally I'm not too worried about people knowing this information.

A little more concerning is if your IP can be seen for all the little script kiddies out their in their basements. Some IRC (war) scripts include pingers to ping a user though, as stated, some don't need to as /whois MAY provide all the info you need.

If you're a heavy IRC user and genuinly are worried about displaying your IP address to the world, the solution is to "bounce" through a shell account. A lot of these shell accounts are either free or very cheap. You connect via them to IRC displaying their IP address instead of yours. Extra bonuses of this include some shell (if they have them) companies policies to mask hostnames for comedy value. So that dreaded /whois will give them back stop-looking-at-me-you-muppet.com

Oh how we laughed *-)
    # Now if I ever needed inspiration,
    Right about now where I lose my patience,

sorry (therenegade)
    it was irc
    and if i dont know anything about that
    how can i get what all of youve talked about? where do i find and download,
    do you have patience to guide me a little
    thanks for all

Try google or the mirc help file maayan_ron?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    could it be that a friend got an "extra" name and is just messing with you?
    -just a thought

bis bald

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    yes, i was going to say something about 'mode +x' because on the Austnet servers, (Australian IRC) there is no mode which covers that description....

what is the server name/address and channel name for the AO irc???

that is, if its not exclusive to certain people.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Well lets see if someone has your IP there's things like this... http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp if you can get something accurate enought, since the provider is almost always just towns away it'd take little effort to do a bit of guessing and give off a sence of the "OMG how did he know" kinda thing. One of the dumbest things you can do is mention your name and the state you live in http://www.switchboard.com/. I'm sure if MsM remembers my real name and feels a need to waste time then she could easly breath heavyly into the phone, mail me a dead horse's head with a bloody note attached, or atleast something diped & covered in some type of toxic material.

Once agian, It could also be malware. Who's to say that he didn't DCC send a program or direct you to site and then played you like a musical instrument. There is an endless number of ways to dig the dirt on people sort of speak and an endless number of services that'll ultimately aid this process.

CybertecOne, I beleave in quite a few of your posts it seems that you're either very new or are many, many, years behind the times on what has happend here. AO no longer has an official IRC server. I guess JupM found it to be a bit to much and besides that I can also remember people bitching like 24-7 about "so and so said/did this" ehhhwww oh Boo hoo waaaahhhhh . As far as IRC goes most AO folks are all over usually at someplace like unerror, loony, oh god to many servers & things to name yet alone count.

Hi
    can you see an ip address making a file transfer (send/receive) on Yahoo! Messenger,MSN Messenger and others.Just open the dos prompt when you make the transfer and type:netstat . you will see the ip address of the second computer. that's all.
    Lord Nightmare

Wink HAI FELLOWS

HAI FRNDS MY NAME IS WILLIAMS

QUESTION: IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO KNOW THE IP ADDRESS OF THE PERSON WE ARE CHATTING WITH IN YAHOO? OTHER THAN "NETSTAT".

QUESTION:PING IS ACTUALLY WHAT?

QUESTION:HOW TO PROGRAM IN COMMAND?

QUESTIONOES WINDOWS XP SUPPORTS TELNET?

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING.................... IF YOU HELP ME TO THESE QUEATIONS..

....."A Bend In The Road Is Not The End Of The Road......

Unless You Fail To Make The Turn. "...

Hi Williams,

QUESTION: IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO KNOW THE IP ADDRESS OF THE PERSON WE ARE CHATTING WITH IN YAHOO? OTHER THAN "NETSTAT"
    Yes. Run a packet sniffer on your computer and inspect the destination address of the Yahoo packets. You can do this as well on any gateway that your connection passes through. Yahoo does not provide any means of doing this. You may, however, end up with the IP address of a Yahoo server instead of the person you are speaking with, depending on the state of their protocols at the time.

QUESTION:PING IS ACTUALLY WHAT?
    A ping is actually an ICMP message, short for Internet Control Message Protocol. This protocol is used to send information about hosts across the Internet, such as routing changes, access denied errors, and timestamps. It can also be used to "ping", or echo request, another host. The host recieving this echo request then sends an "echo reply", another type of ICMP message, indicating to the host that sent the echo request that the host that sent the echo reply is online.

QUESTION:HOW TO PROGRAM IN COMMAND?
    By this I assume you mean the Windows command prompt. This is known as batch file programming, and is very limited in its scope. Unfortunately the topic cannot be covered in a single post. I suggest that you use a search engine to find some more information.

QUESTION: DOES WINDOWS XP SUPPORTS TELNET?
    Indeed it does. All you need is a telnet server running on your computer to answer connection requests to it. Windows home versions may not have this option, however the professional and server versions do, if I recall correctly.

Now, note the dates on this thread... they were last posted to well over a year ago. You are bringing up a very old thread, which is a big no-no with the state of today's Intenet culture. Start a new thread rather than asking your question in a thread already a year old.

Next... STOP USING CAPITAL LETTERS... it makes it look loke you are yelling, which is obviously rude.

And finally, don't expect a reply in under 8 minutes. It will take several hours many times to get your post answered. We don't all live in your timezone. In fact, at this hour, most members here are actually asleep. America is dead asleep as it's 3:30AM on the east coast, and most people in Europe right now will be on their way to work and not settled in yet... it's 9:30AM there.

Judging by the ignorant nature of your posts, I would recommend you read this, this, this, and this before posting again, or you may be handed a serious ass whooping by quite a many member here.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!