Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to know something about person in chat room

to know something about person in chat room

hi
    yesterday i was i some chat - and a person there knew a lot of thing about me-about my connection, ip,,,,,,,,
    without me telling him,of course
    how did he do that?
    how can i do that too? anyone knows?
    thank you

What kind of chat, what client, and did you make any file transfers, or direct connections with them?

Usually chats mask the host... So like Soda said, if you initiated a connection (to send files say) or something of that nature they could have found out. So if you do stuff like that, make sure you trust the person for other obvious reasons like malware.

IRC servers don't always mask the host, and even when they do a lot of them are transparent. Undernet is the only truly reliable one I've been on, but many forget to enable /mode <nick> +x so you can still be 'seen'.

Direct connections on file-transfers can be traced with netstat.

I am not familiar with AOL/AIM/ICQ/Yahoo chat rooms because I don't visit them. But I'm sure even those can be traced one way or another.
    /\\

as far as msn and yahoo goes the chat is routed through the respective servers hence there is no direct way to trace or get real IP of the person by watching active connections. but if you start a file transfer the chat client Establishes a direct connection between you and the other person. but i have heard that after yahoo messanger V 6.0 and MSN messanger V 6.1 and later even file transfers are routed through their servers. i have not confermed this, but ultimately only way to get your IP in Yahoo and MSN chat is to start a file transfer.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    noone has mentioned this yet, but the 'whois' function is more than likely what they used... this option is available depending on what client / chat you use....

otherwise anything mentioned above about file transfers is correct and possible.

i dont think you should worry too much until they start finding out where you live and personal information that should not be publicised.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

No one mentioned it cos we didnt know if he was on IRC or not CybertecOne..and most IRC servers set mode +x now,so a whois basically turns up zilch...dcc's so much better...specially with half the world still not upgrading from the 6.0x
    Thread seems to've gone a lil quiet..maayan_ron..a lil more feedback mate lol,though your answers're prolly a file transfer,dcc or a whois
    Havent heard about the MSN file transfer being routed through the server...I seem to remember I got the ip even with 6.2..on another note though,yahoo though used to establish a direct conncetion as opposed to routing it through their server if you were on for a long time(looong time ago,doesnt work now)...funny though,I'd have expected more people lambasting ICQ

thank you all
    though i didnt underatand all' but i think i got tje picture
    sorry for the ignorance but what is it "whois"? how can i performed it?

thank you all
    though i didnt understand all, but i think i got the picture
    sorry for the ignorance but what is it "whois"? how can i performed it?

You still havent answered the question maayan_ron
    and whois:it's a command on irc that lets you check if a particular nick is online...with a list of all the room's he's in and the ip(usually masked now though)
    Syntax:/whois nickname
    a /whois nickname nickname if you want to find out for how long they've been idle