Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with web page please

Blast From the Past

help with web page please

hey all
    im planning on making my own web page...i already have a free .tk site registered for me
    www.linuxisgod.tk
    and i currently have it linked to my xanga site but i plan on making my own webpage on my computer that i have total conrtrol over

soon il be getting a 6 year old server
    unix/linux only

so im looking for a client that will help me make my own page and host it on my computer...hopefully something that is alittle automatied but not fully

if you have no idea what im talking about p/m me and if you have a better option please share
    p.s. i want to keep it on my comp i dont really want to host someware else...even if its free
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    if you want to host a webpage from your computer and not from a providers server, then you need to get a program like Abyss X server or something along those lines....

i think thats what your asking?

http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/download.php
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Blast From the Past
    yea i will soon be getting my own server...how swap, multiprocessor...the works...only thing is that its 6 years old but i want to host my own website that i have total control over....and i was wondering if their are any tools for linux that will help me build and maintain one....if at all possiable automatied

i do have a domain name registerd for me
    www.linuxisgod.tk ... any ideas?
    o this has to be done in linux/unix....A) thats all i like and B) its all that server will run

To host the website, you'll need a webserver. Apache is the most popular, but you might like something easier like xitami. the .tk address will let you link the domain to an IP, but unless you have a static address you'll need to use dyndns to get a static IP.

As for building the site, I think mozilla has a web page editor? If you are looking for a content management system, maybe use phpbb2? but you will need to install php and mysql on the server in that case.

er0k
    not necessarily mysql, just an sql databate

Blast From the Past
    soda i do have dynamic ip...if i switch to static ip on my router for some reason the internet stops working here....never trusted that belkin router so im making my own
    what is this dyndns you speak of?...can you provide some more info or maby a link?

Banned
    Your ISP is the one assigning you an IP. In your case it is dynamic, meaning that it changes from time to time. If you link your .tk-address to your IP address at home, as soon as your ISP changes your IP your server/website won't be accessible anymore through the .tk-address. That's where dyndns comes in.
    It's not your router that's lacking here, it's your knowledge
    Read up on DNS, then see if you still want to go on with your project, and if yes: check the DynDNS website...

Dead Man Walking
    Soda i gotta disagree with you bro. AS long as you are willing to read apache is just fine as a server. Most linux distro's give you the option to install and add some of the more popular modules during install of the OS. Apache is definately the way to go IMHO. As far as a good html editor for *nix either VI or quanta+.
    EDIT: most distro's will also install and configure either postgre or mysql, depending on the distro, at install time if the user selects it.

Blast From the Past
    slackware 10 with everything installed that came with the discs....yea if i was good at html i would be fine with something like vi but im looking more for something that is like
    "press here to add banner"
    then it adds the according html

Dead Man Walking
    I am not trying to be an ******* here but HTML isnt exactly rocket science. If i may suggest you might want to pick up the book "web design in a nutshell" from oriely press. I got it out of the bargain bin at Barnes and Nobles for 7 dollars. It has been an invaluable companion. If you are planning on running your own server you realy should learn the "languages" you are using. Most WYSIWYG editors that automate tasks like tables and stuff also tend to bloat your code. If you can function on a linux box you are smart enough to learn html and even some of the scripting languages. Do you have a windows computer available? if all else fails get a copy of macromedia dreamweaver and use it to edit your files the copy them to the server.