Thread: Need help in wireless access

Need help in wireless access

I am very new to wireless and recently brought a notebook with wireless adapter. My campus has a wireless LAN. After I entered its SSID and connected, it shows very good signal strength. What else should I do to let say surf the web with this wireless access?
    Thanks.

Forgot to said that I am given a proxy address and a port number, how do I configure it?

Is the DHCP client required for wireless access? I don't seem to be able to started the client as it gives me error 1068.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Normally if you have access you should or be given an static ip by the administrator ( which i doubt on a big campus ), or it should already got an ip adress.

The proxy server is made by the admins to control/filter/speed-up internet-access more, which i find a good thing in such large environments. Anyway this proxyserver setting you need to set in the connections-settings tab of your browser. Just like you would do with a wired connection if required.

Hope this helps,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Today I took my notebook to the cyber centre in the campus for help. But the guy was unable to fix this problem (in the support tab of the status windows, it gives Invalid IP Address), the proxy is properly setup. The repair button doesn't help to fix the problem. I guess DHCP client must be started, so I start it but it gives an error message (attached the screenshot), although it is set to start automatically, it just wouldn't.

IMO this error resides to a service not started.

Go to Control panel. In your System Management - Component Services , you can find an option for Services(local) . Under this you should see all available services. There is also one for DHCP Client. Check if its started and if not start it, and set it to autostart the next time.

Also in that Component Services should be an option to view system logfiles. Try to track the error and try to find some more info if this service needs more dependency-services.

Hope this helps,

It gives me an error (screenshot in the previous message) when I try to start the DHCP Client. It is already set to autostart but it is stopped.
    In the event log, I found this:
    The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service also give the same error when I attempt to start it.

In your common network-connection settings on the WINS tab, you have three options :

- netbios enabled
    - netbios disabled
    - netbios standard ( This option will take settings from dhcp server )

Which option do you have here ? And did you try the last one ? Try to manipulate this settings.

I found the exactly same problem on the net and the solution is to replace the netbt.sys file and this fixed my problem. Thanks anyway.