Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing IE from the desktop

Removing IE from the desktop

I work at a school running WinNT4 and W2k on the desktops. We are wanting students to use Firefox, however when they see the IE icon they use that.

We want to remove it, so there is only firefox to use.

Is there a way of setting something on a W2k server so it takes it off (btw, all students are in a "student" group with policies)?

We run a batch script for the students to set network shares, like their profiles. Is there a way to change regedit in that script to take it off the desktop?

Also, we have disabled access to regedit from the students.

Someone has told me about "managed desktop" and "program menu", but im unsure what they mean.

I think you guys know what im talking about anyhow.

Thanks,

In windows 2000 open up internet explorer, click on tools then select the advanced tab and scroll down the list and look for "Show internet explorer on the desktop" uncheck that box and press ok this will remove it from the desktop. and for the start menu all you have to do there is just delete the shortcut.

you could also use "gpedit.msc", here you can set a lot more policies like that (this works for the windows 2000 machines, don't know if it works with NT4).

I know in some versions of windows (can't remember what one exactly) when you go to the control panel and open up "add/remove programs" and click on "add/remove windows components" you can remove outlook and internet explorer from the start menu and desktop

know in some versions of windows (can't remember what one exactly) when you go to the control panel and open up "add/remove programs" and click on "add/remove windows components" you can remove outlook and internet explorer from the start menu and desktop
    correct me if i'm wrong, but if i'm not mistaken this will uninstall the complete program, and i doubt this is what he meant

sorry lepricaun,

I meant to say, GET RID OF INTERNET EXPLORER!

I just thought it would of been easier to remove the icon.

But by all means, if there is ways of uninstalling it, please tell me.

Thanks,

for xp there is a tool called xplite, this will let you uninstall every component of windows. perhaps it will work on 2000, nt4 too. otherwise i'm sure there will be such tools for your version too...

and of course the add/remove-programs and add/remove-windows components will let you do most of the stuff manually...

correct me if i'm wrong, but if i'm not mistaken this will uninstall the complete program, and i doubt this is what he meant
    and of course the add/remove-programs and add/remove-windows components will let you do most of the stuff manually...
    Not really, I removed IE from Add/Remove Windows Components, And everything linked to it dissapeared, but when i went to Display Properties-> Desktop-> Customize Desktop->Checked the IE box, the Shortcut appeared on the desktop again, i agree with you on XPLite, i used it a souple of days ago and it works like a charm, removed the program completely, when i wanted to start something with IE, it said :Can not find the file specified" !

So basicly i think you could also just remove the Internet Explorer dir in Program Files ?
    O.G at A.O

Does getting rid of IE clear a sufficient amount of space on a hard drive? I'm thinking of getting rid of it (already got rid of Outlook ) and I wanna know if it's worth it space/memory wise. Any thoughts?
    Space For Rent.. =]

a couple of megs maybe ? Its not that huge of a program !
    O.G at A.O