Thoughts On IPv6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On IPv6

Thoughts On IPv6

I have been reading up on IPv6 and I am wondering what the people here at AO think about the matter. I am thinking about trialing a version out on a Win 2000 box. I would like to know what all you here think on the subject?

If you have yet to hear of IPv6 go to: http://www.ipv6.org/ it is a very good place to start.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Kwiep
    not much to think about imo... if we run out of ipv4 adresses we just need ipv6, that's pretty much it
    Double Dutch

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Well, I'd say that you are gonna have fun testing it out. There are a number of new benefits like QoS, mandatory IPSec (though I would debate the benefit, but that's another topic), much improved multi and anycast support, etc.

The fun I am referring to is that many of the benefits will be difficult to test out right now. There is a place on the net where you can hook up to the IPv6 bone but I forget the site right now.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

So what's going to trigger the switch to IP 6.0 ?

Maybe MS can make longhorn IP 6.0 only ?
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Kwiep
    Double Dutch

I certainly like the idea of IPv6. I have been studying it for quite some time. There are many benifets that come from, no New benifets so to speak, rather it will be the byproducts that result from IPv6 that will be benificial to the internet. The following is a short list of the things I believe to be the most benificial to a transition into a IPv6 internet.

1)More address spaces. Which will be needed inevitably.

2)Multicast would be mandatory.

3)Stateless host configuration is mandatory.

4)IPsec (With Ipv4 I think this protocol sucks, but that is another matter) would be mandatory as well. With that in mind it safe to assume that you can secure your IP transmissions when talking to other ipv6 devices.

5)An end to the routing table headache that has plauged ISP's for years. By useing route arrogation it limits the number of entries possible. We would see only a limited number or entires on the default zone.

6) Traffic engineering friendly. IPv6 was designed to allow better support for traffic engineering like diffserv or intserv (RSVP). Unfortuantly we don't have a single standard for traffic engineering yet so the IPv6 base specification reserves a 24-bit space in the header field for those technologies and is able to adapt to coming standards better than IPv4. Which would be nice for many WAN engineers.

7) The headers while very similar will allow for developers to implement hardware accelorators much easier.
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.

not much to think about imo... if we run out of ipv4 adresses we just need ipv6, that's pretty much it
    I disagree there is alot more to it then just more IP address'. The IPv6 technology provides a better platform in all areas (at it seems right now). If you read this article (http://www.pcsupportadvisor.com/nasample/c0655.pdf ) you will be able to see a better picture of what IPv6 is all about.

IPv6 adds many new features such as:

More IP (you are correct about that one)
    More Security
    Better transfer rates (ie for video and room for improvement)

This is a quick small list of things however IPv6 most valuable asset is the openendedness. I say this because when the internet was first created people were not sure just how fast or much it would take off. To there delight it boomed and now, they realize that it is going to continue going up. So They are making room for growth off of the IPv6 platform. I feel that this situation is crucial for us to understand and grabbing on and testing this while still in the beginning phases it will be better for the net admins and others out there. Staying one step ahead of the game is what it is all about ladies and gentlemen.

- MilitantEidolon

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Well like Hate noted, many of the dependency benefits are in their infancy and the true benefits will not be reaped for years to come. Right now, I believe the most you'll get out of it is additional IP address space but in the long haul, you'll sit back and talk about how we ever survived with the lacking IPv4 implementation.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I could not agree more with you statemen thehorse13 but we can't always gauge how fast a new technology will catch on. Sometimes it is fast with wide-spreading changes and sometimes slow. But I agree with your statement.

- MilitantEidolon

Kwiep
    the main thing is more adresses anyway, the new stuff that has been added is just like the new colours in kde... they keep developing stuff if your talking about datatransmission because technology eveloves... it's like a cd you cut in half and are still able to play because every bit is stored like 3 times on different places... venyl didn't have them redundancy things but dvd's have even more, the new things introduced with ipv6 aren't earth shocking, they're logical rather... to talk a bit pessimistic "it was getting about time"
    Double Dutch