Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win XP SP2 problems.

Angry Win XP SP2 problems.

OK It's my turn to beg, I need some help please,

I have a system at the house (IBM PIII 800, plenty of RAM). I installed Win XP SP2, now my Internet access (Cable Modem - diagnostics read normal) is slower than a 14:4 baud modem. (1:30 to open Google) I have tried the following: Disabled all firewalls, and pop-up blocking software, in depth scans for spyware and viruses, re-installed the NIC card, rolled back SP2, verified DNS entries, and I still have to wait forever to access any webpage.

Any Ideas forum - I don't want to hear reload the OS. I know that is an option, but I would rather not do that.

<edit> Internet Explorer Browser, and system fully patched prior to SP2 install.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

ibm wasnt one of those you shouldnt upgrade to sp2?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

How long has this being going on? If not long, maybe it's a coincidence and not relatd to your updating to SP2? A temporary slowdown from the ISP side perhaps? Dunno, just throwing out ideas...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...556#post784556

also consider the possibility of it being your ISP or a program taking up internet speed (bittorrent, etc)

I did not see any restrictions for my IBM system on the MicroSoft documentation for considerations prior to loading.

I have had this problem for about 4 days now. I don't think this is a Comcast issue, but possible. The thought has entered my mind that I might need Comcast to reset my modem.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Hate to belabor the obvious, but I guess you have checked all the "minor" settings on the NIC, etc.? When I installed XP SP2 it reset my printer default mode from "black and white" to color. Drove my wife crazy watching the slowness of print jobs and caused me to do a double take as well.

No problem Gandalf. It's often the obvious that kicks us in the behind. But, yes, I did check the minor settings on the NIC card, i.e. turned off File and Print sharing which had been reactivated with the upgrade.

This is probably obvious as well, but have you tried using a different browser such as Opera, Firefox, etc. just for testing purposes? I'm just wondering if SP2 changed something with Internet Explorer that might be causing this issue..

EDIT: Also, something else, have you tried pinging major websites (such as Yahoo, CNN, etc.)? I'd be curious to see what your response times were... Seeing if they were way out of whack...
    - Maverick

Sniff the traffic!

Ethereal.org

See if anything else is going on.

BANNED
    Originally posted here by cacosapo
    ibm wasnt one of those you shouldnt upgrade to sp2?
    All I've found so far is this: http://news.com.com/IBM+goes+slow+on...46.html?tag=nl
    It seems IBM is just telling it's employs not to just jump into it without testing when they've had months to test the RC's.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...