Remember When?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember When?

********** |ceWriterguy

Cool Remember When?

Remember when -

Bill Gates said '640k of ram is all anyone could possibly ever need.'

TRS 80 was 'geek chic' with its massive 1k of onboard ram and a cassette player drive?

When Dim$, Peek, Poke, Array and Chr$ were used in conjunction with Gosub/Return, and For/Next was a nifty tool?

When *gasp* there *were* no windows and you actually had to type the program name you wanted to run at the c: prompt?

When the coolest thing out was the asciiart of the playboy centerfold?

When you (yes you, and you know you did) snuck a pirated copy of Zork (with zorktool of course) home on your 5 1/4 diskette?

When Norton was a Utilities program and God of all things o/s related?

When you used to 'hack' into games using your hex editor hoping to snag the next level's passwords, or figure out which changes to make to your characters?

Ultima 3 ruled :P

Sorry, tripping nostalgic. Please feel free to add to this
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    haha, yes, i do remember when Ultima 3 rules hahahaha......
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

When *gasp* there *were* no windows and you actually had to type the program name you wanted to run at the c: prompt?
    Yes 'er do and I certainly love those days. Although I still play with DOS and something called "unix" to keep me entertained.
    Space For Rent.. =]

********** |ceWriterguy
    But wait! there's more!

Remember when you begged and pleaded with mom for a modem and she wouldn't let you get one for fear of you being arrested?

When WarGames was the techiegeek hit of the summer?

When we were Gods and Gurus and not just geeks (at least to our faces)?

When exe2bin, copy con, and edit were usable things and memmaker and drivespace were heartily avoided?

When you spaced your lines 10 apart in case you forgot something?

I, too, still play with dos a bit. Unix is awesome, but with only 1 course under me, I should study it more.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Banned
    How about... remember 8bit processing?

What alot of people don't realise about tape storage is that you could play music & alot of other stuff from your computer & everything outputed to TV sets. Which was cool. Hex editor? With tape storage, back then certian things could easly be cracked useing a method similiar to the magic marker trick for sony's old attempt at a "copy proof CD". As far as games go from years back... its amuseing to hear a phrase such as "smash that square with the round thingie". Hehehe.

Remember pitfall on the atari I loved that game heh (not really related to computers but close enough)

I need to get an atari t-shirt

Elite Hacker
    I'm so young . I have no clue what you're talking about.
    /me hugs his windows GUI.

Well, I loved playing Captain Power on my Commodore 64 while playing the Iron Eagle soundtrack on a nearby stereo...

...and I can't believe I just admitted to that. I was a wierd kid, ok?

I loved playing bruce lee on my commodore 64.... Oh I remember the days!!!

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Yeah, and remember having to plug those cartridges into the back of the keyboard?

And remember the white-font-on-blue-screen word processor?