Thread: n-Case

n-Case

Hi,

I did not install any activeX controls or any other programs in the last two days. Yesterday, when I ran Spybot it did not show any spyware problems. Today, it shows there are n-Case problems. How can this happen ?

Thanks,
    K.

It probably installed itself from a infected website. It does install through activex and if you have it enabled in your browser, it might have downloaded itself.

Is your computer clean of it now or do you need to know how to remove it?

I removed it using spybot-sd resident.

I wonder how a website gets infected and allows malicious activex controls to be automatically installed. Could you briefly explain how that it is possible ? I did not click "yes" to any of the activeX download dialogs..

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

I don't know what type of stuff the Spybot caught they might all have been cookies(traking cookes as they say it ) some of the vendors now claim they don't do that traking thingy still the cookies are caught..........like ones from AO's Advertising service Cookies ......they are still considered malware and are caught by AD-Aware and spybot......So they is they all might have simple cookies.

Those Websites that push these malware are not generally infected by them they delibrately push these malware.............generally you will get it from p0rn or those dark backgroung hax0r sites.......(well i said generally not always)

Generally Reputed Website do not push these kind of malware (like Adware or Spyware)..........not without asking you atleast ............But you never know.....one website on load promped a message box where when you pressed yes it ment no and when you pressed no it ment yes smart ass...and made their site as your home page.

One other source of adware is those free and Shareware software....they provide them to you for 0$ now they got to earn too so they bundel some AD-ware with it ......some of these also get caught ....by spybot or Ad-aware.

Disabling ActiveX dosen't take care of all of them.............Disable cookies.......Avoid P0rn ( well at least try )............Avoid shareware software.........Stick to reputed web sites...........Spybot has a option of stopping 500 something known malware so switch that on .......but you may still will have a few .......so one more option is ....change browser try Firefox

--Goo Luck--

excellent details, thanks.

i have two questions

1) can an activex somehow get installed without my knowledge ?

2) i see several popups getting opened when I vist MSN. I am sure that those popups are NOT from MSN and are from some other source. MSN does not open nude popups. Who is opening these popups ? (I verified the process list and all are genuine processes)

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

1) can an activex somehow get installed without my knowledge ?
    Disable ActiveX.......ActiveX is a way of of installing Malware.....if you disable them they wouldn't be able to run them on the page....

2) i see several popups getting opened when I vist MSN. I am sure that those popups are NOT from MSN and are from some other source. MSN does not open nude popups. Who is opening these popups ? (I verified the process list and all are genuine processe
    Do you have a Pop-up blocker...........(yahoo toolbar or google tool bar provide some popup blocking but i have seen a few bypass them).

Yes MSN does not open Nude Popups too bad

Did you update your Spybot.....if not done already Updated .....update it and run a scan.......update your AV and run a scan.

Give AD-Aware a Try if you want.

Try the online scan at Housecall

Still you get those popups Download HyjackThis and post the log here and let some one have a look at it.......if you decide to use hyjackthis.........don't try to handle it yourself until you know what to do........hyjackthis being a very good dygnoseistic tool but is somewhat dangerous too.........post a log here and wait for some one who knows what to look for in it to arrive........don't delete any random files or you willmake it harder for people to look for the symbtoms....these things are getting smarter day by day needs a doc to clear them up

Psssss: Did you hear me say something about Firefox

--Good Luck--

thanks a lot.

my question#1 was more towards this: if activex is enabled, even then when a new activex is getting downloaded, I will be prompted with yes,no cancel - right ?

how can automatically download and run ?

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

Yes it will generally ask you when using a new ActiveX .....but someone might use a vulnerability in a signed ActiveX..........ActiveX themself might not be dangerous but the flaw or vulnerability in it might be used by some to install a malware in your computer.....The one that are already installed on your system.........and large number of security holes in ActiveX controls have been found that have not been patched by Microsoft or the respective Vendors..........now that ActiveX control can be made to drop a virus/Trojan/worm, delete files from the hard disk, or install a spying program when the malicious page is viewed in Internet Explore............and unsigned ones are like downlding a exe's created by someone you can never trust a program built by other

my question#1 was more towards this: if activex is enabled, even then when a new activex is getting downloaded, I will be prompted with yes,no cancel - right ?

how can automatically download and run ?
    Check your Internet Settings ...............are yous Sure you have selected"

Download signed ActiveX To Prompt

Download Unsigned ActiveX to Prompt or Disable

If you have selected it to Enable i think they would be Automatecally get installed without Prompting.

--Good LUck--