Changing an IRC mask

Thread: Changing an IRC mask

Changing an IRC mask

I recently started using IRC and was wondering if there is a way to change the way your mask appears to other people. I would feel more comfortable if people didn't know what my ISP is. Are there any apps out there that could help me out?

Thanks in advance!

You could use a proxy, or HttpTunnel would do the trick.

Some networks will allow you to have a custom hostmask if you're a valuable member or you donate. Other than that using a proxy of some kind (or connecting to a remote server and running IRC directly off that if you have a shell account) is really the only way unless your ISP doesn't have reverse DNS (in which case people will just see your IP address).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    You could use hostserv-options if those are enabled yes. But most IRC-servers these days have a mechanism to hash out a pretty important piece of your hostmask.

And btw you should be pretty safe if your firewall and such is in place and functioning well.

Cheers.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

The internet is a public network. Emphasis on public. I don't think that is stressed anywhere near enough.

Some servers allow you to obscure your hostmask using a user mode, some do it for you automatically. It varies by network, but I recommend reading the site for your IRC network's servers to see if they support such functionality.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I obtained a proxy for myself, called MultiProxy. However, I logged onto IRC before and after disabling/enabling the proxy. My mask was the same regardless of whether the proxy was on/off. Now I don't know much about proxies but i noticed that MultiProxy connects to port 8088 where as my IRC client connects to port 9000. In order for the proxy to take effect on IRC do I need to change the port that MultiProxy connects to? If not, how do I make it so that MultiProxy will change my mask when I'm on IRC.

<note> Some of you have said that I probably don't need to worry about my IRC mask and I trust your judment, but I am curious now and would like to see if I can do it anyways. </note>

try googling around for bnc accounts since they will mask your isp and your ip as well..
    juicy`peanut