Thread: shut down annoyances

Angry shut down annoyances

ok i just upgraded form 98 to win. 2k.. i know its older but w/e..
    The problem is when i had it running win. 98 it shut down without me needing ot press the button. when i hit shut down it turned its self off no screen saying it is now safe to turn off your computer. well now with win. 2k i get that screen and its a pain in the butt cuz i either gotta get in the back of the computer to kill it or just hold the button in the front.. its just really annoying.. can i change it so it just shuts off and i dont get the screen? and how?
    Thanks

Maybe check in your BIOS screen..
    There should be a switch that you can change in your bios screen so that when you press the power button it will automatically turn off..
    And why do you want to just turn your computer off without shutting it down first?
    Cause that cannot be good for your computer or Os if you just turn it of without first using the shut down feature in win first..

Anyhow just search around in your BIOS and you should come across something around the lines of Automatic Shut off, and you can choose the different options just by using your pgeup and pgedown buttons..

cheers
    f2b:.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    actually no.... how old is the board and bios... because i had the same problem with older machines and the atx switch.. no matter what its like in the bios, anything over win2k.. including xp(which is what i had running) seems to wait till the button is held in...

dont know why but thats the way it is
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

cuz i either gotta get in the back of the computer to kill it or just hold the button in the front.. its just really annoying.. can i change it so it just shuts off and i dont get the screen?
    You could always use the switch on the wall?

I do not recommend automatic power down, as you are actually disabling a useful diagnostic. I know it can be done with Win98/98SE and ME, but I have not seen it with NT4 or 5 (Win2K). There is a difference between home and professional OSes. The professional ones are at work and generally connected to the network. Stuff needs to be written back to the network, so that is why there is the message. The delay is common on modern boxes, and is intended to prevent accidental power down.............so the admins can beat up on people too impatient to use the fine equipment properly

Seriously, I would learn to live with it.

no, you dont understand. i mean when i go into the start menu and hit shutdown it shuts down the computer but then i get a screen that pops up and says it is now safe to turn off your computer. I want to get rid of that message i dont want to have to hit the button to shut it down. is there a way to shut off the computer without having to hit the button? thats what im asking......

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    read nihil's post again:

It is a safety feature built into the OS, to prevent trigger happy [L]users from disconnecting too soon.

Seriously, I would learn to live with it.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone