Thread: Phoenix AwardBIOS Error

Phoenix AwardBIOS Error

I thought this was funny. A minute ago I was in the CMOS Set up utility on my Compaq Peresario, and so I'm looking at something, and sort of see out of the corner of my eye:

"Supervisor password controls full access. <Enter> to change passowrd; <enter> again to disable passowrd. "

Without the quotation, that's exactly what it says.

It's in the advanced tab if anyone wants a laugh.

Another good laugh, which I just saw while typing this is the Grammar in "Plug and Play OS". Lovely.

I'm also noticing that my fan speed monitor says the fan speed doesn't stay at one speed at all. Every second it's at a different speed. One second it's 4,440 RPM then a second later it's 4,326 and it hops back and forth between these two speeds, and others every second.

The CPU temp is currently 131 Degrees F / 55 Degrees C

System Temp : 24 C / 75 F

AMD Athlon XP 2600 + how about you guys? Is mine at a good temp?

Im sure that 50°c should be perfectly fine. All of it, temp-wise, looks fine from what I can tell.

Yeah most of my box's run around the 50C mark.
    Just keep an eye on there temp's on hotter days.

And as for the spelling mistakes in the BioS, i've seen a few funny ones in my time..
    my ol' man has a copy of win95 on a ol' box that has a fair few spelling mistakes in it..
    {He musta got the copy they made while they were smoking crack }

peace
    f2b:.

My start button says Fart.. wtf!

Hi Gore,

"Supervisor password controls full access. <Enter> to change passowrd; <enter> again to disable passowrd. "
    That is actually a common typo. It would only happen to a proper "touch typist" and has something to do with a person being left handed with a right handed brain or the other way around. I am sure you have seen left handed people hold a pen with their hand curled right round so the point faces towards them?................they have a left handed body with a right handed brain.

This phenomenon is one of the reasons why good WP applications have an "autocorrect" facility, you can set up your personal typos and it will fix them for you.

Honest, no BS

As for the temperatures, your CPU is a little on the hot side for my liking. Sure, it can handle it, but you have not much margin before you start to get strange errors. I would personally like to see it about 10c lower.............aim for about 20c above the system temp.

Is it a "boxed" Athlon, or a store built machine. They come with an AMD approved heatsink & fan, but it will be fairly low spec. I always buy OEM processors and a better specification fan, and use silver thermal compound, rather than the white gunk. My 2200+ gets up to 37c in the summer.

Your system temp looks fine, so I would say you must have reasonable airflow.

Yes the fan speeds do fluctuate slightly, even more so with "self-regulating" systems.........they go a bit faster, cool down the system a bit more, so go a bit slower and so on

Cheers

Thanks. this was after about 2 weeks uptime. I try to keep the room cool, and it does have the default fan and heat sink on it, and it has an exhaust fan built in. I want to upgrade the power supply to an Antec, and grab a better sound and video card for it but I'm tight on cash right now.