OPen Port for a n00b

Thread: OPen Port for a n00b

OPen Port for a n00b

OK im a counterstrike player who wants to maker a server for friends to play on. I want to know how to open a port, preferably :27015 to play on. That is all, thanks

Hoopy Frood
    Do you have a firewall or router that's preventing you from doing this? If so, what make, model, ect.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I believe to answer your question, you would have to edit the config file for the cs server and tell it to run on port x and when you start the server it will open up any ports and listen for connections. All rules of firewallign and nat still apply.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    wouldnt counterstrike have its own version of connection protocols.... if you have direct links to your computers ipc/ipx connection....

if its over the net, counterstrike would have its own servers which you could use (provided they are not pirate cd's) otherwise im not sure what else you can do without either the knowledge or money....
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by CybertecOne
    counterstrike would have its own servers which you could use
    Counster-Strike servers are all player run. Valve doesn't provide any at all to the best of my knowledge. Counter-Strike is a free mod if you already own Half-life and was never really developed with the thought that it could grow as popular as it did.

Regards,
    Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Hoopy Frood

Re: OPen Port for a n00b

Originally posted here by FleA808
    I want to know how to open a port, preferably :27015 to play on. That is all, thanks
    Rereading your post, I'm wondering if I didn't misunderstand you. Are you just wondering how to tell Counter-Strike which port you want the game to run on or are you having something like a firewall or router block access to this port like I originally thought.

Here to help and not cause confusion like he's doing,
    Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Custom User
    If you are just wondering how to start a server running on a certain port, all you need to do is either open counterstrike and select "Start Game" and fill out the options (I believe the default port is 27015 in any case) or you can download the dedicated server if you do not need to play the game from the computer that is running the server. A dedicated server will generally run better than a [insert whatever you call the other type of server ] because it does not have to render graphics, etc. for you therefore it has more memory/cpu time to act as a server.

If that was not what you were asking; if you were wanting to know how to allow your server to work behind a firewall, then you really need to post the make, model of the firewall as others already said. But generally on a router anyhow you can set up virtual servers, or port forwarding which connect ppl to a specified internal address when they connect to a certain port on your internet address.

Hope you understood that. Send us the make and model of whatever it is that you've got (router/firewall/etc) if that's your problem and someone should be able to give you a more focused reply.

ac

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    CS's default port is 27015 and the very act of starting the server will open that port on your computer.... It's no more complex than that.

If you have a firewall, (which you should), then you need to go to it's config facility and forward the port 27015 through to the computer on the inside... Bingo, you should be up and running.

Don't forget.... If you are using a NAT firewall such as a LinkSys then you can't tell your friends to use the 192.168.1.x address of your computer. You need to tell them the Address of the NAT device which is found on it's "Status" screen in the config facility

Hope this helps
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides