View Poll Results: Win XP SP2: Problems?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • no problems

8 61.54%
  • small problems

3 23.08%
  • big problems, but solvable

1 7.69%
  • big problems, could not use/install

1 7.69%
  • had to rebuild system

0 0%
  • Forget it!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Distro's Which?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Arrow Linux Distro's Which?

Hey gang,

i was just wondering at the moment, which Linux Distro you are using, and which you prefer.... can you also give me opinions as to what you would recommend. not a newbie at linux, just inexperienced any help would be good? also a poll for which you would recommend from the top few....

Cheers

[edit]Neg if you must (cause people already have) because its mentioned millions of times before, but i asked for CURRENT stats..... "i was wondering At the Moment"

also i want to know what everyone else is using and what you like.... thats what i couldnt find posted elsewhere..[/edit]
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

I'm mad OpenBSD isn't up there Bah, oh well FreeBSD is. I use/love OpenBSD because of it's stability and reliability (as a system, as a server, as whatever the hell you want it to be ). Red Hat's also not that bad neither, and I recommend Mandrake to those who are partial to Windows.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Well i was (partly still am) an extreme Linux newbie, my first choice was Red Hat , i'd say it's not that easy, but it was good for my first distro, except the part where i had to mount my NTFS hard drive, that was a pain in the ass ! And also i used Mandrake couple of days, i'd say Mandrake more for a first choice, but whatever you choose, there are tons of online manuals and FAQ's to help you on the way !
    O.G at A.O

Let's not forget AntiOnline. You can always come here and ask questions and whatnot when you need help with anything linux related when you hit something you don't understand.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Seems I'm the first one to go for Gentoo. It's what I'm using right now and I have to say I love it

On a side note: I always thought *BSD wasn't Linux... am I just wrong, or the BSD distributions are, in fact, quite a different OS?

But yeah, I think all the BSD's should've been there, as well as the 'Other [which?]' option. Especially since until not long ago I had various Linux distros that aren't as popular [and where the version < 1 ] - PHLAK and Knoppix-STD to name but two.
    /\\

lol, yes perhaps an Other option would have been handy... but i wanted to know out of the top few (which is whats listed) what was being used... it didnt phase me to know or not about lower distros.

Thanks so far guys
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

I chose slackware. I dont use it but ive used it a number of times. And i like it alot. Ive aslo used RedHat and Gentoo and Mandrake. Red Hat was my first distro I used but I like Slackware so much more.

er0k
    slacks cool, but can be a pain in the ass for noobs. id go with mandrake, then redhat, then slackware, then gentoo, then a bsd.. in that order... for difficulty.

for total ownage - slackware.

well since im quite comfortable in a RH environment.... would you still recommend going to madrake??

and what about preference of boot loaders, seeing as i WILL have windows and quite possibly a diff linux.. say, slackware and RH with XP. each on their own parition. (same drive though)
    - Albert Einstein

Elite Hacker
    If you're comfortable with redhat I say stick with it. I used redhat for a long time with no complaints. I now run slackware and fedora core 2 (very similar to redhat). I think you can learn to love any of them if you use them long enough. Peace.