D-Link DWL-G510 Not Detected

Thread: D-Link DWL-G510 Not Detected

D-Link DWL-G510 Not Detected

OK I'm a real newb when it comes to networking but when a friend of mine asked me to help network his computers, I decided to help anyways. We chose to go wireless because of the location of the compters in his house. He got a D-Link DWL-G510 wireless card and a DI-524 wireless router. I installed the router first on his good computer and it worked perfectly. So then i went to install the wireless card on his old computer, and it didn't go so well...

I followed the directions in the manual EXACTLY - I installed the driver first which was fine, and then I shut down and plugged the card into a PCI slot. When I booted up though, the LED on the card was not on and the manual told me that Windows XP should show me a "Found new hardware" screen, which never came up. I went into Control Panel and tried to Add New Hardware about 8 times and each time it didnt work. I thought there might be something wrong with the PCI slots so i went into BIOS and tried fixing them but they were fine.

I've tried everything that I could think of to get this card to work, and I just don't know what I should do. If anyone has had a similar problem or has any idea how I could go about fixing this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    well... once the driver is installed, windows thinks its already there?? why would it detect it again??

maybe you need to uninstall the driver. and reboot the machine with the card in the slot. with no drivers remember. and see if it says new hardware found then?

in my experience the LED on the card would only light up if its connecting and 'in use'
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Well I thought the problem might be the card, so I tried installing it the same way on another machine, and it worked fine. So I'm starting to think that maybe it was the PCI slots that weren't working on the original computer. I still don't know how to get them to work though.

PS. I tried plugging the card in with the driver uninstalled and Windows still didn't detect it.