Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Exim.exe" E-Mail Tracking

try an online scanner like www.http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    also get a firewall, for free one's try www.zonelabs.com.
    one more note, even if you have norton installed i prefer you do an online scan i trust it more.
    get you windows machine patched up.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

If there is a program to delete it, can you tell me what it is? I will try the AVG you recommended. Thank you.

Hoopy Frood
    AVG probably won't do anything for you since you have Norton so it's most likely a waste of time. Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode and then tried deleting the file?

Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Thak you ByTeWrangler:-)

I have used them before and I did not think about that. Thanks for reminding me of HouseCall!!! :-)

I would reboot the system into SafeMode (reboot the computer and press F8 then select SafeMode).

Once in safemode I would run nortons and do a complete system scan. Then I would rename that file exim.exe to exim.bak while you are in safe mode. It might also be a good idea to get either spybot or adaware and do a check for any malware that could be lurking on the box.

Good luck and keep us posted.

~Halv

Thank you Halv and everyone here. You guys are all so AWSOME!!! I will do what you said and definitely keep you posted on what worked. Thanks a million!!!! Update you soon.

PCherokee

Then I would rename that file exim.exe to exim.bak while you are in safe mode.
    If she wants to delete it , why rename it first, its not gonna be in use when she's in safe mode. Just delete the file while in safe mode !
    O.G at A.O

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    If she wants to delete it , why rename it first, its not gonna be in use when she's in safe mode. Just delete the file while in safe mode !
    To make sure it's not an important file, I believe.

Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Well I did the online scan and it did not catch it. I pressed F8 to reboot in safe mode but not working (maybe because I have XP. andyone knows how to reboot in Safe mode with Windows XP??

renaming a file is always better than deleting if you are not sure if you may need it. better safe than sorry...

You use F8 to get into safe mode with windows xp, home or professional. You can also use F5 if you want. Reboot your system and while it is booting up keep tapping the F8 key and you should get a menu to choose safe mode and other booting options. I belive safe mode is the top choice. Use the arrow keys to move the selector to that choice and press Enter and off you go.

good luck

~Halv