Thread: Dual OS - 1 Machine

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Dual OS - 1 Machine

i was wondering, if it was possible to have dual monitor support, (as example) Win XP, RedHat each to their own HDD.

is it possible to be able to boot XP, use monitor1 whilst booting RH using monitor2.....

to explain further,

a box with 2 hdd as above, is able to simultaneously boot and operate two different operating systems.... of course i want to choose at boot which 1 or both i boot.

is this possible even if the 1 box had 2cpu and support. or is the thought completely out the window and needs two machines.

question: is this possible or not, if so what specs would it need, and would the OS's operate 100% speed/stability?

if not, how long would technology like this take to come around and be affordable? (you know what i mean)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

simple answer:

NO...

if anyone (which i dont think anyone can) can prove me wrong please do cuz im really interested too !

why ? because the monitor is not connected to the hard drives ! Now if you had two processors, one to process one hard drive and the other for the second, and an extra video card, the second one set to display what the second processor works on, i think it may be somehow possible, i think phishphreek can put some light on this or cheyenne1212
    O.G at A.O

lol, totally forgot about the videocard(s).... :/

i guess the way it works as copyright said you may as well get two machines.... however, what would be the result if dual monitor support was hardware controlled?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Why not use VMWare and have the VMWare window open on one monitor, and the usual OS on the other?

I've seen what gore is talking about, and it worked like a charm..

2 monitors, a dual-head videocard, a ps2 mouse and keyboard and a usb mouse and keyboard.

Setting up the two user on one system stuff: (linux)
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Loca...WTO/index.html
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

i would just have 1 k/bnoard and mouse with a switchbox....

however..... i have used VMware as an emulation ontop of windows for RH8.0.... could never get it to work out...

The-Horse13.... (check nick ) i know has a fair bit of experience in VMware .... where are you
    - Albert Einstein

I go with gore..

Vmware or Virtual PC... ..

I currently have a number of M$ O/s installed in Virtual PC.. The Host PC has a dual head Videocard, so while running the vpc in one monitor I can still have a WinXp ap running on the other monitor.. one keyboard, one mouse.. two monitors.. one PC..
    only prob is the memory you need plenty of memory
    The exact is the same for VMWARE.. except there are Nix versions of VMware..

and to back up ©opy®ight.. without a Virtual PC enviroment.. the answer is no

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

i was never able to get windows to run a RH8.0 emulation.. i couldnt even install...

its important i use windows (for the moment) as my base OS, and emulate ontop of that. is there any reasons or was RH8.0 incompatable with VMware at the time?? (i actually think i was just supported) so i will look into it again... thanks a bunch.
    - Albert Einstein

Blast From the Past
    i remember in one episode of the screen savers a guy had mac and windows running on one comp....used a monitor with picture-in-picture
    and yes i agree with Vmware...i have an xp2000amd with 512 ddr and dual monitor support and i could run vmware perfectly
    i would give you a copy of mine but that would be piracy.....and im trying to change my ways
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Blast From the Past
    i remember in one episode of the screen savers a guy had mac and windows running on one comp....used a monitor with picture-in-picture
    and yes i agree with Vmware...i have an xp2000amd with 512 ddr and dual monitor support and i could run vmware perfectly
    i would give you a copy of mine but that would be piracy.....and im trying to change my ways
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger