wireless setup

Thread: wireless setup

wireless setup

guys its me agian any suggestions regarding wireless networks.
    Im planning to setup a wireless office inside my house any recommendation regarding the hardware specs of the wireless network.
    Any recommendation in router, nic card, hub, (all wireless)
    any documentation in wireless setup so i can setup a wireless with a guide documentation im not really that experienced in wireless network...
    Im planning to use Win 2000 or Linux. Any suggestions guys.
    post pls. Im really excited because this will the first time to seup a wireless network.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I love questions like this because I get them at work all day long. The very first thing that you need to do is define your requirements. Requirements drive your hardware/software selection.

For example, will you have sensitive data on your network? How secure do you need this network to be? Do you have the technical ability to setup and support a mixed OS wireless environment? What are your speed requirements? Do you want an upgrade path? How much money do you have to spend?

If you clearly define your requirements, I assure you that the answers you receive here will be excellent.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Within my house I have 3 users with a total of 6 machines requiring access *don't laugh - we go out sometimes *. I got a netgear WGR614 wireless router fairly cheap. It broadcasts both 802.11b and g and has 4 RJ45 ports for hard connections. If your connection is under 7 machines I would recommend:

- A 10/100 wireless router with either/both 802.11b (54mbs) or g(108Mbps) capabilities (personally b is sufficient, but people do love to show off). This will allow for RJ45 and wireless connections. Will allow assignment of IP's and provide a basic firewall/port forwarding

- Wireless access adapters. Either airport cards for laptops or internal PCI cards for machines. USB 1.0 access adapters aren't much good. 2.0's are better but... hmmmm.... blah - USB s evil. Remember though - if you get a "b" router, don't get "g" cards - they wont work etc - that bits fairly self explanatory.

- MOST IMPORTANTLY Beyond all the hardware, speeds, flashing lights and super things - SET A PASSWORD! It's amazing how many wireless networks just broadcast to the world

- The OS combination isn't important. But for this network they are a combination of Win 2k and XP machines sharing resources over a workgroup - I'd say a domain was un-necessary from home - but you may have different specs. Also Windows XP Service pack 2 has incorporated Wireless technology options - bonus! Though Win 2k is more than sufficient.

Setup is relatively easy. Just remember to use the port forwarding otherwise you may find connection problems to the outside world.

Good luck - it's a lot of fun
    # Now if I ever needed inspiration,
    Right about now where I lose my patience,

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    I love questions like this because I get them at work all day long. The very first thing that you need to do is define your requirements. Requirements drive your hardware/software selection.

For example, will you have sensitive data on your network? How secure do you need this network to be? Do you have the technical ability to setup and support a mixed OS wireless environment? What are your speed requirements? Do you want an upgrade path? How much money do you have to spend?

If you clearly define your requirements, I assure you that the answers you receive here will be excellent.

--TH13
    personally i just like it to be a peer to peer i will use 6 machines with a wireless setup inside the house. Im having a new LAW OFFICE inside the house, eventually regarding the data its not that sensitive ill be using only softwares mostly and commonly needed inside the office. Personally i have an experienced regarding networks(WIRED ONLY) but not the extended that im really experts in wireless because i know that they have the same concept im I right?
    Regarding the money personally i have a $500 budget for this wireless setup. Regarding my machines P4 2ghz ,256 mb,40gb Hd,64 Mb VC, CDROM 52x but dont have a wireless network hardware yet. thanks
    post pls. regarding this guys