Dual booting XP and RedHat 9

Thread: Dual booting XP and RedHat 9

Dual booting XP and RedHat 9

Ahh here is the problem. How fun right. Ok here is what i did and what happened. I was dual booting my 40 gig HD with Windows XP Pro and linux red hat 9. Currently i had Xp home installed on my hd and didnt want to reformat and start over so i just upgraded my home to pro real quick. After upgrading from home to pro i had 12 gig left on the drive and couldt partition it, but there was already a partition made that was the System Restore for XP well i whiped it out and partitioned it into 2. Well i went to install Redhat onto it and when i went to install it the partition that i made on teh recovery partition it said free space but it wouldnt let me put it on it but the partition that i made it was only 100 mb for swap space it let me format that as swap but it wouldnt let me install redhat on the free space. Ok so i went to restart and run the win xp setup and partiton it right....wrong. I got the shaft "Windows/root You must replace the file hal.dll because it is missing or corrupt". Any ideas how to fix this? or replace the hal.dll file with out the System Recovery partition.

BANNED
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

HAL.DLL is Missing - Updated by MVP Alex Nichol

Option 1:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
    DEL C:\Boot.ini
    BootCfg /Rebuild
    Fixboot

Option 2:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
    When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
    When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

wow thanks man i was gonna try it in a lot harder way roffle copter, but thank you man it was makin me mad i couldnt find anything good on google in the 5 min that i had time in class. Thanks again

BANNED
    No problem. Glad I could help.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...