Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft security chief uses Firefox

Microsoft security chief uses Firefox

MICROSOFT'S head of security, Stephen Toulouse, has accidentally revealed that he uses Firefox.
    In an interview with Wired, Toulouse was chatting about how security was an industry wide problem and not Internet Explorer specific.

Then he mentioned that only that morning he had to download an upgrade to Firefox to block a flaw that would've allowed an attacker to run a program on his system.

While he meant to point out how other browsers have the same problems as IE, he just happened to reveal that he surfs using the rival browser.

Of course it is unlikely that he does not find IE a particularly secure proposition and there must be a really good reason he has Firefox on his computer. Here are a possible list of excuses:

1. His secretary downloaded it and he can’t work out how to uninstall it. He has to keep updating to prevent from being a hole in his system.
    2. He finds the orange and blue colour scheme calming.
    3. He ritually has to swear at it as part of a Vole management rite.
    4. He uses it to see if it can’t download the same pages that IE can and then laugh if it can’t.
    5. He is trying to know the enemy by using it.
    LMFAO, This is hella funny. they ppl cant trust their own creations. what abt others?
    Half The Time I Don\'t Know What I\'m Talkin\' About, And Even Worse, I Don\'t Know Which Half

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    It's no different from going to your local restaurant and finding it closed with a sign saying "Gone to Lunch"
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Or seeing the lads at a local Chinese joint eating a box of Pizza Hut.

One thing can be said about open source, people think every thing is cool and the are automatically "safer" with them and don't have to be as vigilant in applying patches.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

BANNED
    The only way most people I know know that firefox needs to be patched is if I read it on a forum or in the news and tell them to patch it. It seems maybe they need some small form of an update system.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Just like watching the President of the US/CEO of Ford driving BMWs to work/play. Smart Public Relations

Nobody said he uses it *exclusively*

Perhaps he just has it installed for testing purposes. Keeping up with the competition is encouraged, even by Microsoft.

Slarty

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by slarty
    Keeping up with the competition is encouraged, even by Microsoft.
    Don't you mean "squashing the competition"?

Xierox

P.S. Said in jest.
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Originally posted here by xierox
    Don't you mean "squashing the competition"?

Xierox

P.S. Said in jest.
    he may be looking to see what makes it secure so that they can steal the source code for that just like they originally stole the IE sourcecode
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Hoopy Frood
    IE's written from stolen source code?

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I still don't understand why people bash Microsoft so often, so what if some of the higher employees use programs other than Microsoft's. They have the right to. Another thought, so what if he is seeing how it is made secure. If you code as some of you do, you know that you can do the same thing a million different ways can't just assume he is going to steal it. One more, haven't you ever used an example of some shape form or fashion to help you figure something out before? I use Linux, but I think that alot of people have forgotten that it is a descendant of Unix. It's not like it is all original. You have to get ideas from somewhere. Be it from your own head or elaborating on a former idea of someone else that you thought was good. Sorry for the rant, I know it kinda jumped all over the place. I hope I didn't step on too many people's toes.