Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft security chief uses Firefox

There are just times when people need to admit they are beaten (llike microsoft with internet explorer).

They need to acknowledge and admit it is a piece of **** and then they need to get rid of it and start exporting something like firefox with their OS's. Clients would appreciate it and it would save them flogging a dead horse.

Originally posted here by xierox
    IE's written from stolen source code?

Regards,
    Xierox
    Yup. They sure did. Some little start up made IE and they stole it and said it was theirs. When the company tried to sue M$ with lawyers that only cost $200 an hour, they got squashed to hell by M$'s experienced lawyers. This was back in the day when Netscape cost money and was very popular. Gore had a few links on it if we can get his arse over in here...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Hoopy Frood
    Hmm. I didn't know that. Thanks for the information!

Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

BANNED
    I won't post most of the articlesI found since the jest of them are just windows bashing rants. Here's a page that explains IE's conception.
    http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat.../ms_win98.html
    Just Browsing
    Unless the Department of Justice has its way, Microsoft will make Internet Explorer, its Web browser, the de facto user interface for Windows 98. IE4, which now is giving Netscape a run for its money, evolved from the original Internet Explorer, which shipped at the same time as Windows 95 in August 1995. IE1 was, surprise, surprise, a souped-up version of Mosaic, the prototype browser developed at the University of Illinois by Netscape honcho Marc Andreessen—Microsoft would later pay browser company Spyglass Inc. $8 million in royalties for using its Mosaic technology. In case you haven't followed Microsoft too closely, here's an axiom for you: The Redmond company rarely succeeds with versions 1 or 2 of a product, but by version 3, the world starts to take notice, as Microsoft wakes up and claims a market share. That's the way it was with Windows (before 3.0 it was a joke of a product), and with IE, which shocked the industry by taking big bites out of Netscape's market share when version 3 was released last year.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

I don't quite understand why people tend to get into a twist about companies changing the ideas and product to suit their own needs. Let's run down a list:

America took French pizza (baked bread and sause) and turned it into what it is today.
    Countless companies took the idea of Atari and improved upon it for the gaming system idea we have today.

And the list goes on and on. Sometimes people have a natural ability for innovation, sometimes others have an ability for improvement upon origonal ideas. I happen to be that way. I'm a bit hard to get in the origonality department, but give me an idea/process/hardware/system and I can make a tremendous amount of changes to improve it. That is how most of America is founded, not just innovation. Even if they completely stole it, the product has improved and gone beyond the initial specs because of Microsoft think-tanks.

Origonal, improved. To me they still accomplish the same thing, something better. And it would seem that they both need each other. An item must be created from scratch so that it can be improved upon for the changing years (even scissors, for tao's sake), and an item can only be improved upon when a new item is created from origonality.

BANNED
    I agree. That's why I found the article that I thought put it that way more than the other articles I found. Most just straight out called them thieves and such.

And Sun are clean?
    oh and IBM.. they are angels?

AOL...????

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

^^

To hit people's head use wine bottle. To hammer nail, use hammer.
    (Mmmmmm wine bottle seems to be the most popular choice... at least for those movie i seen)

Different tool, different usage.

Security head use secured web browser.

Novice use IE. As it comes with the OS and readily available.

BANNED
    Novice would say IE can't be secured just like novice say windows can't be secured.

Funny how this all came from the subject of the posts: MS Chief uses Firefox.

I would have to say, maybe he uses it because it is a really great browser? I do.
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!