Thread: xads.offeroptimizer.com

Question xads.offeroptimizer.com

One of my colleagues get these popups in winxp SP2 that aren't really pop-ups. They are from xads.offeroptimizer.com or something, and is without a doubt a left-over from a raid of adware hitting our office.

I've runned Adaware SE Personal, Xoftspy (registered) and SpyBot, but nothing seems to fix the problem. I've also deleted all references to a scanreg.exe in his registry, but this solved another virii, not the one I'm talking about.

Attached you'll find the HijackThis.log.

Thanks for any help.

Did you google the results from HijackThis ?

Things like Winad ??

Did you run Ad-aware in safe mode ?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Try and see if you can remove the following via Add/Remove programs:

Winad Client

Please boot into safe mode and select the following with HijackThis. With all windows (including this one!) closed, please select "fix.”

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AEECBFDA-12FA-4881-BDCE-8C3E1CE4B344} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvms.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CE188402-6EE7-4022-8868-AB25173A3E14} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\mscb.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F4E04583-354E-4076-BE7D-ED6A80FD66DA} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msbe.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Excell] wuamngr32.exe **
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Winad Client] C:\Program Files\Winad Client\Winad.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nlaocpwbwnaia] C:\WINDOWS\System32\eqptbu.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Excell] wuamngr32.exe**
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Excell] wuamngr32.exe**

O16 - DPF: {15AD4789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://public.windupdates.com/get_fi...af646f61636257

** Check this file first, but I'm 99% positive you have a trojan there.

In addition , also download, update and run the A2 (A squared) anti-trojan. You can download it free at http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ . Let it fix whatever it wants to.

Then find and delete the following:

wuamngr32.exe **

C:\Program Files\Winad Client\ <<Folder and everything in it.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\eqptbu.exe

Cheers, will do.

While at it, my own computer @ work has been infected with some nasty stuff. Spybots S&D has blocked some of it, but lately cmd.exe opens up a blank.html which refreshes into ads.

Attached is my hijackthis.log

Please boot into safe mode and select the following with HijackThis. With all windows (including this one!) closed, please select "fix.”

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0000607D-D204-42C7-8E46-216055BF9918} - C:\WINNT\mxTarget.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {3AAC132A-9D17-04E7-8604-165508DA2814} - C:\WINNT\System32\ikss.dll
    OO2 - BHO: (no name) - {AEECBFDA-12FA-4881-BDCE-8C3E1CE4B344} - C:\WINNT\System32\nvms.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CE188402-6EE7-4022-8868-AB25173A3E14} - C:\WINNT\System32\mscb.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F4E04583-354E-4076-BE7D-ED6A80FD66DA} - C:\WINNT\System32\msbe.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Registry Scan] regscan.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Excell] wuamngr32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BullsEye Network] C:\Program Files\BullsEye Network\bin\bargains.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ifcdbihgirccz] C:\WINNT\System32\nlfcok.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows Registry Scan] regscan.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Excell] wuamngr32.exe
    O16 - DPF: {9EB320CE-BE1D-4304-A081-4B4665414BEF} - http://www.mt-download.com/MediaTicketsInstaller.cab

Once again you have a few trojans. Download A-squared and run it (the link is in my last post).

Then find and delete the following if they're still there:

regscan.exe
    wuamngr32.exe
    C:\Program Files\BullsEye Network <<folder and everything in it.

Then please get some protections!!

At the minimum please follow the directions here: Groovicus’ Guide to Simple P.C. Security

Thanks!
    I saw MxTarget.dll at the other computer as well. Most of these are simply detected by intuition, but the computer I use at work is so slow that I preferred to be sure before deleting anything. The tutorial and comments you wrote have been forwarded to our system administrator. He's a pretty stressed guy, and since most people around here only _depends on other people_ to ensure their privacy, I'm pressed to run around alot cleaning malware.

It's gotto stop!

... If it comes to it, I'll order ThinkGeek's t-shirt: "No, I will not fix your computer."

Hate to do this, but here's another log.

Apart from eqptbu.exe, wuamngr32.exe and mxTarget files; what needs to be fixed?
    Log attached

Please go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall the following unless you really use it:

MyWebSearch

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0000607D-D204-42C7-8E46-216055BF9918} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pxypgalv] C:\WINDOWS\System32\eqptbu.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Excell] wuamngr32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Excell] wuamngr32.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Excell] wuamngr32.exe
    ** O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe
    ** O4 - Startup: MyWebSearch Email Plugin.lnk = C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSOEMON.EXE
    O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
    ** O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsearch.com/menusearc...p=ZNxdm41445NO

** Don't fix these if you use MyWebSearch intentionally.

Then, while still in safe mode, find and delete the following:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\eqptbu.exe
    wuamngr32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBSearch <<Folder and everything in it.

I want you to read up on this stuff and get some protection! Here are some good references for you:

Groovicus’ Guide to Simple P.C. Security
    So how did I get infected in the first place?
    Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers
    HijackThis Logs - How to read and research

Also, the current version of HijackTHis is 1.98.2. If you don't have that you can get it free at http://www.downloads.subratam.org/hijackthis.zip