Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: secure But still being Hacked

The Iceman Cometh
    the 3 firewalls are

XP firewall enabled.
    Internet connection firewall.
    and Outpost.
    According to Agnitum, the current version of Outpost isn't compatible with Windows XP SP2. While I run Outpost Pro without any problem, I would highly recommend turning of the Windows firewall because there may be a conflict there.

As for the CPU, it sounds like it's either spyware (which others have suggested), though I'm leaning towards a legitimate process that's causing the problem. Do you have a pop-up blocker of any kind? I know I had a version of AdSubtract which used up to 90-95%. I uninstalled it, re-installed it and it worked great. Since you know that the CPU is going up to 90% usage, you should know what's causing it. Go to Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and check the Processes tab to see exactly which process is using all of your resources. Then figure out if it's a legitimate or illegitimate resource and go from there.

AJ

Lets see pretty much agreed 3 firewalls are not a good idea but to check what process is using 90% of your resurces just do a ctrl+alt+delete and go to the task manager button then to the running process tab and look for the running process. If you are running Symantex Norton AV if memory serves me their product gets wacked out running live scans now and then and will peg a CPU which usually required a re-install of their product.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

First off get rid off one third party firewall, then it sounds like you need to get control of your running processes, first turn off anything that auto-updates.....these updates can be done manually, also tweak your services with the aid of below link:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Hacking Frustration

First I would like to apologize for 1 being new and not totally informed about this site and 2nd.. if this is not the right place to post this..
    There is a website called games.com which is owned by Atari. when u go to the site.. at the bottom of the 1st col, if u click more games it take you to a page with all the games listed. The last being Yahtzee. if you go into the yahtzee site there are 2 rooms specifically the room called the cove. This room is being hacked consistantly. if u want to set a table for a game the max is 4 people.. the hacker can set the table for 16 players. Hacker is also able to hack into players actively playing, manipulate them, boot them out, not only boot them out of the game, room, website.. but to the extent where they can't even get their computers back up and running for a day or 2. To add insult to injury, these hackers take on a screen name, give themselves mega points and sit in the lobby chat room and boast about what they can do to people and dare them to try and stop them. Atari is aware of this as numerous people have called them about it including myself, I had also spoken with their legal department because the foul language was unbelieveable and kids play that site also. As far as I can tell Atari has taken no action regarding this matter because it continues. This has been going on for a good 6 months.

The last incident was yesterday to a person who already downloaded windows xp service pack 2. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated as to how these people are able to do this and how the players can protect themselves.. thank you

If I have posted this in wrong place and need to post it somewhere else.. please let me know that too. "confused"