Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What are your hacking achievements ?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    ...and never paid a penny . I abused that machine until I quit...so for roughly 7-8 months since I figured it out.
    dam and they didn't bust down your door? I heard that the vending police are gestapos!? lmao

dam and they didn't bust down your door? I heard that the vending police are gestapos!? lmao
    To add insult to the injury I would have conversations time to time with the guy who used to refill the machine and often get free stuff anyways. He wouldn't take with him the ones that were in there already , he would just pull them out and refill it with fresh ones most of the time and leave the other ones out.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    ....I would have conversations time to time with the guy ...
    ahh I see; social engineering!!! lol jk DAM this is getting way off of Shrekkie's thread question! Sorry man!

Unfortunate to see some American bashing a while back...no need for any of that, and asking people what their "hacking" achievements are in the current climate is somewhat akin to asking people to tell you about all the times they have stolen things etc... (not that I ever have..)

anyway, I did my first "hack" if you want to call it that way back in 1984...damn I am getting old. went to the dark side for a while (quite a while), then came back to the good side, and now operate in the grey side, but definately with a white emphasis, so much so that many people on the dark side no longer speak to me. Of course the good thing about starting so long ago is that I have managed to build up a fairly decent skillset which I now put to good use.

After that paragrpah I fear that I may be negged out of existence due to everyones love of the "H" word..

Although I definately don`t think that you need to have done any kind of "hacking" (no semantic arguements on hacking v cracking now please) to be a good security person, in fact I work with many good people who have only got into the field in the past few years, a mind thats good at problem solving is the key (and thinking a little deviously never hurt).
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

ahh I see; social engineering!!! lol jk DAM this is getting way off of Shrekkie's thread question! Sorry man!
    Social Engineering is a branch of hacking which when used together with hacking, can significantly lower your risk and help you reach your goal much faster.

I sell Cell phones, I gotta be good enough to convince the other person buy a phone from me even though they dont want or need one.

No offence but this kinda attitude always seems to come from americans. Americans always find something doubtful if its asked done by a non-american and i'm damn proud not to be a member of the flock.
    Come on now Shrekkie, you know better than that. I don't care if you were American or not because that doesn't make any difference in terms of intellect, byt you just don't ask on a public forum "So what have you hacked recently?"

maybe. But you got to remember that most Americians don't travel beyond their little town and because of that most of us don't know how to cope or deal with different ideas that aren't from our little box.
    Right, because me living in 5 different countries (Navy brat) and living an eastern philosophy of life classifies me as an american living in a little town.

I don't see what everybody has against the term "hack" . I mean , did you first see a computer and say to yourself , wow, I want to become a computer security expert or did you say I want to learn how to hack?
    This has nothing at all to do with the topic. No one attacked the word "hack" or "hacker". But do you go to a locksmithing forum and ask "So how many of you have broken into peoples homes?"? No, of course not.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Pooh,

Just an observation..... I find it interesting that you have proclaimed quite regularly here that you are a grey hat yet you balk at this question? I just find that odd....

As to the question itself.... phhhht.... what difference does it make if you are asking the NRA how many people did you kill today or come here and ask this question. The responses you will get at the NRA meeting won't be "Oh 5....." because they may not be too proud of it.... OTOH they may gleefully tell you about the day they knicked someone by accident which you might find of interest. That's what you are going to find in this thread.... Many people here aren't exploiters but there are a few. For the non-exploiters then that cool little thing they foind/did etc. that was no harm or anything, just cool will be their response. Those who are exploiters may determine that they don't want to tell all but might have a couple of interesting stories to tell.....

I think it is a perfectly reasonable question and I think the people here are smart enough to know how far they wouild want to go answering it..... But that's my 2c... Someone else might have 2c that's worth more.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Here's my $1.95.

The road to haxoris maximus started in 1985 when a buddy and I successfully gained "root" access to a well known bank. Yes, we Pwn3D the system and could have done *anything*. How difficult was it? Not very. However, our 14 year old minds left us no choice other than to panic and drop the connection.

Now then, for those who know me, you know my skillset. No need to publish it.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just an observation..... I find it interesting that you have proclaimed quite regularly here that you are a grey hat yet you balk at this question? I just find that odd....
    To me the difference is huge, and allow me to explain:

"Hello, I'm a police officer!" (me explaining my greyhatness to others)
    "Have you ever shot someone or stole drugs from raids?" (someone asking about what my greynatness entails)
    "Er.. Oh look a blue car!" (me changing the subject because it is A. none of their buisness what methods/hacks/servers were rooted in my past, but also B. Just like shooting someone, you don't brag about it)

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    To me the difference is huge, and allow me to explain:

"Hello, I'm a police officer!" (me explaining my greyhatness to others)
    "Have you ever shot someone or stole drugs from raids?" (someone asking about what my greynatness entails)
    "Er.. Oh look a blue car!" (me changing the subject because it is A. none of their buisness what methods/hacks/servers were rooted in my past, but also B. Just like shooting someone, you don't brag about it)
    I just wonder why people always need to change subject in a thread, and just seem to let it slowly die, cause discussions aren't on topic anymore.
    pooh, I know your opinions very well on this one hence our discussions on irc, but IMHO why mv this thread to /dev/null ? We are a community with all types of security profiles, so I believe its legitimate and from the reactions i can say people actually find it amusing to see what others have done in the past.
    And for me asking for dark-sided stories, people have a choice here whether answering or not, even they can just tell in general, which would mean they wouldn't reveal what they don't want, yet they can participate.

So let's keep it on-topic, thnx.

You are free to open a discussion on the morality of this question in cosmos, though.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby