Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What are your hacking achievements ?

pooh, I know your opinions very well on this one hence our discussions on irc, but IMHO why mv this thread to /dev/null ? We are a community with all types of security profiles, so I believe its legitimate and from the reactions i can say people actually find it amusing to see what others have done in the past.
    And for me asking for dark-sided stories, people have a choice here whether answering or not, even they can just tell in general, which would mean they wouldn't reveal what they don't want, yet they can participate.
    Because I've seen what can happen after the slip of a tounge. Because I've seen what can happen when a veteran slips up and let's out a story, only to have someone tie up a lose end and make the connection. I've seen first hand "harmless conversations" about stories and past exploits turn into hell because someone asked exactally what you did, and people got nailed for it. Irc, that's fine. SILC, that's preferred. But on AO? A forum that is not only cached by google, but also a -very- frequently visited site? Come on now Shrekkie... you -knew- this topic was just asking for trouble.

mv this entire topic to /dev/null because of the danger people walk into on it. You are dangling dangerous evidence about other people with this entire thread, no matter how long ago it happened or how much information you release. It needs to be closed, locked, and deleted before someone get's hurt.

Well, since I'm white as snow when it concerns hacking ), I guess I can answer Shrek's question.

I've been a software engineer for 5 years, and had nothing to do with computer security. It was, more or less a hobby of mine at that time. In those 5 years, I've gotten to know really well C++/C, some Java and some tinkering with some script languages. However, the hobby took the overhand (and I got bored with programming and the company I did it for).

Now I work as a system administrator and I'm one of the fortunate who's boss is aware of the dangers on the net. So at work we have a separate LAN with several servers/services/clients/platforms to do some wargaming during lunch break or during periods when it's not too busy. That's where I learn a lot of stuff in a safe environment.

I have no ambitions breaking in in other peoples computers, but I have ambitions of keeping other people out of ours .

Cheers!
    There are 10 kinds of people, those who can read binary, and those who can\'t.

Well you can read it here on what my <quote>Hacking Skills</quote>
    were about 6 years ago... <evil Grin>Just think, what it is now</evil Grin>
    http://www10.brinkster.com/cecomet
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Because I've seen what can happen when a veteran slips up and let's out a story, only to have someone tie up a lose end and make the connection. I've seen first hand "harmless conversations" about stories and past exploits turn into hell because someone asked exactally what you did, and people got nailed for it.
    Pooh, C'mon.... Who's frigging silly fault is that..... If you don't want people to know - keep quiet.... Part of the secret of being a successful attacker is getting in, but more importantly, getting out without being noticed. Might I suggest that an awful large part of "getting out un-noticed" would be _don't_ flap your lips....... IMO, someone who makes that mistake isn't as good as they thought they were!!!!!
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I.. um.. well... tied my shoes.. and um... hacked the FBI web server...

Nah, I'm really just a tard with no talent and 0 'accomplishments' at all.. I learned how to use a computer at a very basic level and currently learning how to run Windows ME on this great and amazingly fast Celeron I have. Damn Windows is hard. =)

[edit]

I forgot to mention that having 2 entire threads dedicated to me in Addicts and quite a few directed entirely at me in GCC qualify as 'accomplishments'. And who can deny that being banned at AO .. 3 times? I think? Isn't impressive... common! =)

I pwn you.

er0k
    my biggest hacking accomplishment as making a shockwave nuke on bzflag :P

(it killed everyone instantly everytime they respawned, when i fired of course..)

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Hey Pooh,
    Understand tough thats not all of us.
    I guess you didn't read that; now did you! Why do you always jump the bat and be rash! That isn't the taoist way. or is it? Now if you would open your eyes you would see what I said was true! Except for a manority of us! I love to travel<been to germany, austria and wishing for much more) but when I ask some people if they have ever traveled or want to I just get a blank stare of "What the **** do you want to that for, they'll cut you head off" bullshit mind set! nOW let shrekkie have his forum back!

I guess you didn't read that; now did you! Why do you always jump the bat and be rash! That isn't the taoist way. or is it?
    Do you even know what the taoist way is? Pffft. I didn't think so. Don't preassume things, and don't confuse Taoism with Buddism.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Don't preassume things.
    you either, bud!

Taoism is the "path" or "the way" . It started as a combo of psychology and philosophy but became a religon later on! Maybe 441ce or something like that. But you get the idea! And the founder, believed by many, is Lao-Tse. Religon isn't my steadfast but my reference to your religon was just trying to prove a point!

Originally posted here by pooh sun tzu
    Do you even know what the taoist way is? Pffft. I didn't think so. Don't preassume things, and don't confuse Taoism with Buddism.
    You two want to bitch about beliefs and religion, take it Cosmos or a closed private discussion... this thread is about things you've done with a computer that you think are significant and feel like sharing. And even though you my think this is like admitting your wrong doings, I doubt anyone with the slightest brain power to do anything like that would post it here.