Lose the connection

Thread: Lose the connection

Developer Extraordinar

Lose the connection

Wow, I hardly post topics here, but I need help help, well, atleast I think I do, it's possible it could be my ISP.

Recently I purchased a new modem (from my ISP directly) and a new modem (from Radio Shack) the modem is a Motorola SB5100 (atleast I believe it is that, I am not currently home), and the router is a D-Link SI 704UP. I called my ISP, and got them to set up the new modem (they had to set the MAC addy of the modem in their servers or something), the first time, they "forgot" to do something, so I called again, and the guy "fixed it". Then it worked for maybe about a day, then it would loose it's connection, and I would have to reboot the modem and the router, I called my ISP, and they said "everything was fine with my connection, but they were working on their router and may experience some difficulties", so I reset it and surfed again for maybe half a day, until I had to reboot it again. That was four days ago. Now it is getting rediclous, I am having to reboot my modem every 2-10 minutes, and my ISP is basicly providing no support. My router is up-to-date with it's firmware.

Any one have any comments or support?

Thanks in advance.

microburn
    Come to UnError.com

Hrmm, oddly enough I had a similiar problem awhile back! And coincidently, my modem is a Motorola SB3100. It did exactly what you described except not as often and after a day or two of fooling around with the wires/cords and blowing into them, adjusting them, reconnecting them, etc everything went fine. The modem kinda sucks but I know what your going through. I actually created a thread here too called "Modem Connection Issues" I think it was addressing the problem. I got some answers there, so search for it and see what ya come up with. Hope I helped a little..
    Space For Rent.. =]

i once had that with my ISP, and after a lot of phonecalls, they decided to give me a new IP from a different range, since then, never had any problems again.

perhaps you can suggest your ISP to give you another one...

Developer Extraordinar
    Heh, I searched on Google and on AO, and didn't find anything about it, will look for the topic though, and I have some extra cables so I'll mess around with ones I know work well.

microburn
    Come to UnError.com

AO's Mr Grumpy
    The ISP's may be different, and in different countries, but it would appear that the problem of lost connections and the reasons / excuses given by ISP's are the same. For the past three weeks I have had regular disconnections, vaying from 20 minutes to a day. I have cable, and know that everything is OK at my end, but when checking their server status, there in no problems or work in progress in my area. My service is eventually restored. They are going to send an engineer to check the modem. All the rebooting won't help, if you have no IP address, mines just disappears and throws up a private address until my connection comes back. I know that they are upgrading the service nationally, I can live with that, but It would be nice to have accurate information at a local level
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Could be a bad router or modem. My ISP gives out refurbished modems and with that, you could send it in and receive another.

Try checking your wires, like they said "it isn't them, but you."

/Edit: I would like to add, check your settings on both your router and modem. Make sure they match up.

Cheers
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    A long time ago Comcast gave me a Surfboard modem.... It kinda worked insofar as I could use it direct conected by no matter which of my firewall I put in place it wouldn't work. After arguing for about a week I finally convinced them that I would sue them if my computer were EVER compromised if they don't replace the modem for one that works with a firewall thus allowing me to protect myself.... After the everything went swimmingly....

Take the firewall out of the picture and see if your cable is stable... so to speak...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, I had to re-update the firm ware, repleace all the cables and shut the modem and router off for about 10 minutes then reboot them, but the connection seems stable now, Unerror's still up without and probablems, and my mom didn't call to bitch that the internet wasn't working.

Yay for bad cables.

microbrun
    Come to UnError.com

BANNED
    10 minutes? I usually just have to unplug mine for 30 seconds and it resets.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Developer Extraordinar
    I only have to for about 30 seconds of so too, but usually I get side tracked on something, and it end of uptting upplagged for longer.

microburn
    Come to UnError.com