September 4th, 2004, 05:59 AM
I just moved into my dorm room at college and they tell me i cant share my printer with my roomate. I find that hard to believe, i was wondering if i still can or not.
Also i cant run AIM or any kind of shared program for longer than 2 hours, i have to go to an authentication site and reactivate my account. Is there anyway i can change that so i can just stay on?
September 4th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I am not quite sure what you mean, but suspect that you cannot share over the network?......in a college environment I would say that was a damn good idea
You could always re-arrange your room and use a simple physical data switch to let both machines share one printer. That gets round the sharing security issue.
just a thought
Is your AIM problem after 2 hours period; or after a period of inactivity?
September 4th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Or you could get a printer with bluetooth capablities. Works pretty good for me.
When death sleeps it dreams of you...
September 8th, 2004, 06:18 PM
They told me if i want to use AIM i have to reauthinticate every 2 hours
September 8th, 2004, 06:28 PM
What OS are you using? On XP you can just do the following:
1. Go to start->settings->printers and faxes.
2. Right click on the printer you want to share and click sharing.
3. Choose the radio button that says "Share this printer".
4. Most likely you will want to uncheck "List in directory" if it is checked.
5. Click apply.
6. go to the computer with out the printer and type in \\your-computer-name in the run bar. Right click on my computer and go to properties if you don't know the name.
7. Double click “Printers and Faxes” in the window that pops up.
8. Right click on the printer you want to set up and choose connect.
That should about do it.
September 8th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Depends on why they say :
i cant share my printer with my roomate
Maybe it isn't allowed?
just a thought