Windows XP Lost User Accounts

Thread: Windows XP Lost User Accounts

Windows XP Lost User Accounts

I just reinstalled windows XP because it stopped working, but in the process, lost access to my previous accounts. One was deleted outright, but the other is still present, but the computer doesn't recognize it. I was wondering if it was possible to restore the account, because the system restore and the registry has been deleted.

because the system restore and the registry has been deleted.
    If the registry got deleted, you better do another re-install or install...damn, i mean the registry is like the core of XP !

you might wanna read some more on the registry and see if you can recover it. Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

but what i get from your question is that you reinstalled windows . And that means everything on native windows partition C: is formatted and deleted, so you can't use them , in case you have backup of your previous registry on different partition and there is no considerable change in your previous and current installation then you can use that to change current installation to that of previous one.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

if there is data still on your drive from the previous accounts, and you can't access it, if this is your problem, then there is most likely a way around it: log in as a account with admin rights, go to the command prompt and type: "at XX:XX /interactive taskmgr". where XX:XX is the current windows time + 1 minute. now wait a minute until the taskmanager pops up, and kill the process explorer.exe. after this go to the button "new task" and type "explorer.exe". now you will be logged in as the system account and most likely can access your data again to copy it to a folder of which you do have access to with a normal account.

if this is not the case, then don't bother and just delete the previous account folders and add a new user.

If you need to access the data, you have to log in as an Administrator, because the administrator has ownership properties.

You won't be able to get the user back, because each user has a SID (Security Identifier) and it sounds like those folders were private, so you've got to take ownership using the Administrator account.

If it was the ac**** itself you need back, unfortunately, I don't think that there is a way to do this, because even if you create an identical account with the same name and everything, the SID is assigned by windows, and the user will be different. Your previous account will remain an unknown account no matter what.

Good luck,

(PS: Try this [to get your files back]. Log in as Administrator if you aren't already. Browse to the folder in Windows explorer. Right click and select properties. Click the security tab. Click advanced. Click the Owners tab. Check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Click Administrator. Click Apply or OK and you should be back in business. )

<--! Taken -->